FALSE BOTTOM

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
GARYSMIFF

FALSE BOTTOM

Post by GARYSMIFF » Sat May 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Greetings all,
I had a moment and thought that I could make a False bottom out of a SSteel Steamer, has any one given this a go? are the holes too big. your feed back please.

PS: a pic of my £10 worktop b4 and after a clean up, can I now join the shiny Klub?

BR,
Gary :(

GARYSMIFF

Re: FALSE BOTTOM

Post by GARYSMIFF » Sat May 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Looks like a 3mm hole in the steamer, managed to find my rule,
I currently use a 99p Iron mesh, the splatter type pan cover with the Tank manifold pushed through it the same as the plate method as my mash tun has a round bottom and that is fantastic only issue is need to swap it out every now and then as its Iron but hey 99p not a problem, did see a SSteel version but £15, I can use a new one every brew for that money. As I plan to use resurc RIMS system so I'll give it a bash and see how it goes.I'll know if its a go'er buy the 1st mash and xfer into another kettle if required during that mash.

It's just that I know there is another option other than the plastic plate and my Splatter mesh.
For what its worth I was in Morrisons and see that the shop shelf's in the beer and cookery department are devided by would be a great screen if it was SSteel maybe?

Please add your 1p, think out of the box I'm sure we can finds a perfect answer to saving pounds on a False bottom, and please dont tell me the plastic plate is the only great invention as my mesh I think is fantastic if not better :shock: as it has more area avaliable if used in a Keg with a rounding bottom. :oops:
Last edited by GARYSMIFF on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

wetdog

Post by wetdog » Tue May 12, 2009 4:43 am

I've searched for one of these plastic plates but can't find one. often see the hard glossy plastic picture plates but they look as if they would crack when drilled.
I really need to redo my hop strainer as I seem to be leaving 2-3 litres behind

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Tue May 12, 2009 5:23 am

Go to the cheapest scrattiest DIY shop or a camping shop. They'll have plenty.

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Post by StrangeBrew » Tue May 12, 2009 12:27 pm

B&Q's have a 9" melamine plate at the moment for under £3

derekp

Post by derekp » Tue May 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Got 4 plastic plates for a £1 from Asda

wetdog

Post by wetdog » Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 pm

I suppose I'll have to invest a pound then. Its all pay out this brewing malarkey :?
just to be sure though, I was thinking of using it for the boiler, do you think it would be suitable for that?

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Post by StrangeBrew » Wed May 13, 2009 4:27 pm

derekp wrote:Got 4 plastic plates for a £1 from Asda
Seen them today, too thin and flimsy for my liking, I'd rather pay a couple of extra £ for something more suitable.

adm

Post by adm » Wed May 13, 2009 8:02 pm

Niiiice brewstand by the way!

Looks like you could easily convert that into a Brutus 10 or similar.....

paulski

Post by paulski » Wed May 13, 2009 8:47 pm

how did you manage to get the stand so clean? i just got a 12" stainless steel dog bowl/dish of ebay for me new shiny false bottom just need lots of drill bits now

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Thu May 21, 2009 11:05 pm

What I cleaned my stand with other than a bit of Elbow grease was somthing I see on an American site but you can get her in the UK its called.

BAR KEEPERS FRIEND

Asda I got my last batch,

http://www.thereallyusefulstore.co.uk/p ... ce=froogle

Good stuff Acid I think so Gloves

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Sat May 23, 2009 11:19 pm

Looks like I may have found a winner.

As I posted b4 I use a Splatter mesh as a false Bottom in my Keg mash Tun( the keg has a rounded bottom) problem with the mesh I was using was it is Iron and would only be good for as long as I looked after it or it would rust but at £1 not too much of an issue, I was in Ikea ( ABBA's Drummer ...lol hahah) Friday and saw a SSteel splash screen an thought Ill give it a try, most SSteel screen are only SSteel around the edge not the mesh so I attach the overnight keep it in water test.

the New mesh is bigger but thats better for me and as you can see looks like its 100% SSteel too. :D

De-Geert

Post by De-Geert » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi!
Can you tell me how you got the pipe through the screen? Did you remove the "handle" or did you drill a hole through it?

Thanx!
Geert

jaycee

Post by jaycee » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Hey Gary - What's the diameter of the Ikea one please?

EDIT - Ah just found it on the web - 13 " (33cm)

These would be good to make the garth style hop stopper too, me thinks!

Cheers jaycee 8)