Equipment for a beginner

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Danmonk

Equipment for a beginner

Post by Danmonk » Sun May 10, 2009 11:35 am

Hello everyone

I'm soon to embark on my first brew and was looking for some advice on what equipment would be best to start me off.

I've been looking at starter kits but wondered if its best to go with one of these or to buy the bare minimum equipment but better quality and add to it as I go along.

I was thinking of starting with a malt extract ale and going straight to bottles and missing out the keg stage. Is this wise for a beginner?

thanks

Dan

Jerry Cornelius

Re: Equipment for a beginner

Post by Jerry Cornelius » Sun May 10, 2009 1:07 pm

Dan, I started off with this starter kit from H&G which also comes with a beer kit as well. It's served me well. I'm sure that there are equally as good kits around, but this one worked for me. I ordered it with a 'Little Bottler' as I also intended to bottle.

Bottling is fine, just takes longer. If you use a keg then you also need to pressurise which adds more cost. Collecting the required beer bottles and drinking the contents is a chore :D but we have to make some sacrifices for our hobbies.

Danmonk

Post by Danmonk » Sun May 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks for the advice Jerry.

I'm currently working my way through emptying a variety of beer bottles. It's hard work but I'm not one to complain.

Would you recommend starting with a beer kit or is it worth going straight into extract?

Dan

Jerry Cornelius

Post by Jerry Cornelius » Sun May 10, 2009 8:14 pm

So far I've only made kits. I've never done extract and after reading a few posts on here about the cost, I probably won't bother.

I've just bought a 60L bin and a couple of Asda kettles to make my own boiling kettle for full mash brews. I'll gradually get the gear together, but in the meantime I'll carry on with kits.

Just a point about bottle collecting - brown is best. Beer in clear bottles has to be kept out of the light or it develops off flavours. Also, if you have a two-handed capper, they don't work with Wychwood bottles [-X .

Spin

Post by Spin » Mon May 11, 2009 10:17 pm

As a biginner it's probably best to buy a beginners starter kit online. I have actually just started putting a website together that shows all the kit you need to get started and and some tips to imrove on the standard kits. It's nothing amazing but might help you get started. Take a look. Click on the icon on the right of this message.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Mon May 11, 2009 11:02 pm

Have a read of the "Kits" section at the top right of the page. It shows you what you need as a minimum.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

adypyk

Post by adypyk » Mon May 11, 2009 11:05 pm

What do you intend to initialy spend?
Going down the inexpensive route, i'd get all my kit from wilko's (not the barrels) and 1 litre sparkling water bottles from asda. (2 ltr lemonade bottles even cheaper but the 1 ltr's bottles are better personaly).
Simply all depends on your budget...........
ps. If you like grolsch bottles, asda do em for £1.59 per bottle, you have to drink it first but needs must :)

Danmonk

Post by Danmonk » Wed May 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

Spin, your website looks really useful.

I read Graham Wheelers book and he pretty much put me off kits but I think I'll give one a go to get me started and work my way up.

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Wed May 13, 2009 7:51 pm

I'd say do at least one kit, aslong as its a good one, even if it turns out not that amazing and you want to try the next stage with either Extract or All grain, you will started to get to grips with Sanitisation, fermentation, bottling etc. Plus the equipment will also come in usefull for the next step. But most importantly you'l have something to drink while moving on.

chris_reboot

Post by chris_reboot » Wed May 13, 2009 10:12 pm

There's nothing wrong with starting (or staying) with kits.

They are designed to be easy to do, and less risky in many respects, especially for a newbie.

My advice would be to get a few kits done, learn, drink, learn etc, until you've mastered that, then move on if/when you want to to extract/AG brewing.
I've got back into brewing after a few years off, and getting back into kits was a great reminder of how it all works.

I'm now at a point where I'm getting my AG kit together for my first brew (hopefully) next week,
Good luck!

adypyk

Post by adypyk » Thu May 14, 2009 11:09 pm

Give it a try, if you decide to move to all-grain, you will then have some of the kit needed.
If you like the beer you might decide to stay with the kits, AG does work out cheeper per pint in the long run and i personaly think tastes better,Although i did try making bishops tipple and it gives me a minging head in the morning 8) . AG Just takes a bit more time and effort.

ask yourself a few simple questions.

1..........have you got the time?
2..........whats your budget?