Make-shift demijohn

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mshergold

Make-shift demijohn

Post by mshergold » Mon May 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in 'Other Brews', so fee free to move it if need be. I need to rack some wine from the fruit it was made with on Wednesday, but have realised we're out of demijohns and our local Wilkinsons have none in stock and can't get any before Wednesday. Does anyone think that a 5 litre water bottle with a hole drilled in the lid with an airlock attached with silicone sealant (on the outside) would be a bad idea even as a stop gap? I was thinking of using the same idea for a couple of the large 18.5 litre office water bottles I've been given.

Parva

Re: Make-shift demijohn

Post by Parva » Mon May 11, 2009 5:57 pm

The 5 litre water bottles are fine for fermenting in, indeed homebrew shops actually sell them as fermenters too.

Frisp

Post by Frisp » Mon May 11, 2009 6:28 pm

Most of my 5L fermenters are water bottles. Use contents drill hole in lid, Fit grommet from HBS. Done....

RatboyOllie

Post by RatboyOllie » Mon May 11, 2009 8:03 pm

i use the 5litre plastic bottles as demi johns all the time and then just recycle them afterwards coz i cant be bothered washhing them !

I also have 6 "borrowed" 18 litre office water bottles. if you remove the seal / cap carefully you can push out the middle piece and i just placed the cap back on, which remains water and air tight, and turned the pushed out middle bit upside down in the little hole and it just bobs up and down when it needs to release pressure, works fantastically and takes 2 seconds !

enjoy !

dandan

Post by dandan » Mon May 11, 2009 10:15 pm

I've got several 5L waterbottles a demijohns, I got a few grommets from a HBS drill a small hole through the lid and bobs your uncle you have a demijohn! plus you get 5L of water for brewing!

Dan