Bilge Pumps Cooling

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
RabMaxwell

Bilge Pumps Cooling

Post by RabMaxwell » Sat May 16, 2009 9:43 am

Hello all i have a few spare beer coolers but they don't have Python pumps so i want to fit my own pump to cool my fermenters.I am thinking about using cheap Bilge Pumps fitted inside my coolers water tank but have never used them before example http://xrl.us/beswui .I would wan't to reduce the pumps 19mil outlet to either 10 or 15mil for easier connection to my fermenter heat exchanger .I have done this with success with pond pumps in the past.The bilge pumps look like a cheaper alternative to most pond pumps but are they up to the job. :?: Cheers :D

edit1now
Under the Table

Re: Bilge Pumps Cooling

Post by edit1now » Sat May 16, 2009 10:51 am

Looks good. Ebay is only a couple of quid cheaper than boaty places like Force 4. It may be slightly more flow than you need, and while it doesn't mind running dry will it mind having its flow reduced? I don't know that one but at that sort of price it would be worth buying one to find out. You'll need 2.5A at 12V DC available, according to these guys.

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Sat May 16, 2009 11:07 am

Cheers edit1now i have plenty of spare 12 volt power plugs use them for my stir-plates.I think i will give it a go but what's also worrying me is how much heat do they generate as it would defeat the purpose if the pump was heating up the ice bank.Any idear how much heat they produce :? Cheers

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sat May 16, 2009 2:10 pm

No but one of the pages (can't find it now :evil: ) said the motor is water-cooled. I don't know what the motor efficiency is, or how you'd calculate it, but presumably some of the 2.5A x 12V = 30W will come out as heat.

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Sat May 16, 2009 2:38 pm

It's ok edit1now i think i have come up with a better pump to do the job & there still fairly cheap just bought 2 of these http://xrl.us/besw8p .
I have just tested one from my camper van & it's pumping fairly well round my heat exchanger & back to the beer cooler.The one i tested was 8 litres per min so the 14 litre one should be good they are small so should be easy to fit.Cheers