2 questions about bottles

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
TheMumbler

2 questions about bottles

Post by TheMumbler » Tue May 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi, new to home brewing and my first post so please forgive my general ignorance and any breaches of etiquette, posting in the wrong area etc. :) I have had a quick search of the forums and can't see any threads answering these questions but there were quite a lot so I could have missed them...

I am planning to have a go at home brewing as a friend has kindly offered to lend me a bit of kit while he is away for a month or two and I was thinking of bottling some of the beer and I was wondering whether:

1) Are changes in the manufacturing process (see link below) likely to mean that some newer bottles are less suitable than their older counterparts. I have some brakspear bitter bottles bought at around the same time as some adnams and black sheep. The adnams bottles are advertised as being more environmentally friendly due to lower weight and the black sheep bottle is about the same empty weight (~300g) while the brakspear bottles are about 10% heavier (~330g).
http://www.wrap.org.uk/retail/materials ... eer_2.html

2) I notice that the bottles have codes around the base and was wondering whether these gave any information about their strength

Many thanks for all the useful information here.

cheers

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Re: 2 questions about bottles

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Tue May 19, 2009 1:06 pm

They're strong enough to hold commercially carbonated beer so they'll be fine for home-brew.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

FlourPower
Hollow Legs

Post by FlourPower » Tue May 19, 2009 4:32 pm

They should show how many mm thick the glass is. Usually about 42mm
Drinking: Turbo Cider, Black Rain Stout, Jotun Killer Double Stout, Apple Wine, AG#1 F.A.G,
Fermenting: Bramble Wine
Conditioning: Blueberry Jam Mead, Gales Mead, HLM EPIC FORCE Methegln, Tropical Juice TC on an orange mead slurry, AG#2 S.L.A.G.
Waiting for Space: Muntons Conn: Bock

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Tue May 19, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks for the answers. I'm really looking forward to having a go at this

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Thu May 21, 2009 5:21 am

FlourPower wrote:They should show how many mm thick the glass is. Usually about 42mm
Not my bottles! :lol:

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Thu May 21, 2009 6:29 am

FlourPower wrote:They should show how many mm thick the glass is. Usually about 42mm
42mm, that's over an inch thick :? - is there a decimal point in there, or are you brewing something truly powerful? :D

Seriously, I use a variety of different secondhand bottles, never had a problem with their strength - if they meet the tolerances for commercial brewing then they should cope with my minimal demands.

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

TheMumbler

Post by TheMumbler » Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 am

Thinking about it I'd guess that the measurement given in mm on the bottle is probably the bottle base diameter or the diameter at widest point. The other string might tell you something about pressure capacity or glass thickness...

e.g the Adnams East Green Bottle I have here has what looks like a circle with a T attached by the base to its right followed by E50 B3 BB254

Good points made about being used commercially and so on, I don't suppose it really matters if people are using the bottles without problems. Probably just being overcautious on my part, I just have visions of me clearing up half my brew with a mop while my GF screams blue murder at me :D . I may bottle a bit of my first run and put them out of the way to see if any of the varieties I have go bang...

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Thu May 21, 2009 1:27 pm

All good bottles to use - and I think it's correct the 42mm refers to the diameter EDIT: Radius! of the bottle rather than the thickness! The Brakspear and Black Sheep ones are also easy to get the labels off (which is an immediate reason for me to reject and recycle an empty if the label is a faff)
Last edited by coatesg on Thu May 21, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlourPower
Hollow Legs

Post by FlourPower » Thu May 21, 2009 3:35 pm

Yeah. Ahem. I got home and looked at a bottle and thought ahh. :oops:

Vernier Calipers away!
Drinking: Turbo Cider, Black Rain Stout, Jotun Killer Double Stout, Apple Wine, AG#1 F.A.G,
Fermenting: Bramble Wine
Conditioning: Blueberry Jam Mead, Gales Mead, HLM EPIC FORCE Methegln, Tropical Juice TC on an orange mead slurry, AG#2 S.L.A.G.
Waiting for Space: Muntons Conn: Bock