Recommended chest freezer

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mac

Recommended chest freezer

Post by mac » Tue May 19, 2009 4:20 pm

I need to get a new chest freezer to fit 4 cornies. It needs to be a chest freezer instead of another tall larder fridge because I'll be using the lid as brewery workspace.
I've had no luck with Gumtree or our local "2 good 2 waste" place so I'm going to have to bite the bullet an get a new one, therefore cost is now an issue.

jrugman

Re: Recommended chest freezer

Post by jrugman » Tue May 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Mac - I notice you are Cardiff based. Do you use pub gas for your Cornies? Do you know of any suppliers of CO2 in West Wales? I live near Newcastle Emlyn and I am thinking about moving up from the Widget/sodastream gadget.

Cheers,

John

mac

Post by mac » Tue May 19, 2009 9:20 pm

jrugman wrote:Mac - I notice you are Cardiff based. Do you use pub gas for your Cornies? Do you know of any suppliers of CO2 in West Wales? I live near Newcastle Emlyn and I am thinking about moving up from the Widget/sodastream gadget.

Cheers,

John
John,

You spammed me. I thought I had some frozen chest answers for me :D

TRo be honest I've given up on the likes of BOC and Air Products.
I was after a fill a few weeks ago and BOC quoted me £9.45+vat for a 6.35kg pub style (VB) cylinder, which I was happy with but then they wanted £11.35 imaginary handling charge for taking it off me at the counter and walking 10 yards with it. That comes to £44.72 with the vat! A little high don't you think? Wait, it gets better. They then wanted £48.10+vat per year for me to keep the gas in my own cylinder. That will be £151.46 with the vat please sir :twisted:

After that, I bought an aluminium cylinder for £35 from Norman on ebay. It was supposed to be full when it arrived but it run out after dispensing about 10 litres. I'm happy with the cylinder though. I got it refilled in a fire extinguisher place for a £10.00, which Norm will hopefully knock off my next shiny purchase :D
I've got an account with a company now so I can get refills for £7.50, £12.50, £15.00 for 2, 5 & 6.35 refills an 2, 5 & 6.35 new cylinders for £40, £60 & 75
If you are ever down this was I'd be happy to help. If not try Norm and a local fire extinguisher company. :D

jrugman

Post by jrugman » Wed May 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks Mac

Some of the "deals" you've been offered sound plain outrageous to me. Following your advice I may well do the same as you and get in touch with Norm.
Have since heard that there may be a supplier in Aberystwyth, so I'll also check that one out. Good to hear from you. Sorry can't help with the freezer problem!

John

mac

Post by mac » Wed May 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Have a try at a welders suplies. It's the same C02 for Mig welding. :D