Removing bottle labels

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
wmfd
Piss Artist

Re: Removing bottle labels

Post by wmfd » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:36 am

johnbarleycorn wrote:Just removed 54 hopback Summer Lightning/Crop Circle labels- hard work. anyway soaked for 48 hrs in bin, then peeled off foily type label leaving gluey backing (sh*t and blankets spring to mind....) soaked bottles again in HOT water then used butter knife to remove most of the gunk then a mixture of Bettaware astonish paste and washing up liquid (and a brillo pad)......clean bottles but by god lots of work; by the way golden glory bottles labels soak off VERY easily..
54 =D> ! I was hacked off after 2, amazing amount of white stuff left sticking to the bottles. We soaked them for days in the kitchen sink, went down really well with SWMBO :^o

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

aus069

Post by aus069 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:08 pm

the best way to clean the glue off the bottles is to use eucalyptus oil . I had bottles like this all I did was wipe on the oil and then let it rest for a min and then wipe clean with a cloth.That is after removing the label just using hot water.

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:34 am

Mayonaise is supposed to be good at removing glue etc the Mrs told me that Kim and Aggie use it on how clean is your house, apparntly you smear it on, leave it for a while then wipe away. Must be worth a try.