Does this tap have flow control ? And if so how does it work

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DC
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Does this tap have flow control ? And if so how does it work

Post by DC » Thu May 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi all, I have just bought this Stella Artois tap off Flebay and when I received it I noticed it had (Dalex) stamped on the side of it and after looking at a few Dalex taps with (flow control) of Fleabay I am wondering if the tap I have bought is a flow control tap :?: and if it is how does the flow control work/operate :?: Also another :?: I have also noticed that there screw threads at the bottom of the tap where the beer comes out :!: just wondering if there should be some sort of control or sparkler on there :?:

Cheers DC :wink:
FV No 1: Nowt
FV No 2: Nowt
FV No 3: Nowt
FV No 4: Nowt
Pressure Barrel No 1: Nowt
Conditioning: Nowt
Drinking: Nowt
Planning:
Yeast Bank: SafAle S04, Youngs Cider Yeast.

adm

Re: Does this tap have flow control ? And if so how does it work

Post by adm » Thu May 21, 2009 9:47 pm

Yup. That's a Dalex flow control tap.

Basically, you just turn the knurled collar on the shank clockwise to restrict the flow and anticlockwise to increase it.

I'd start with it fully open, then see how the beer pours and if it's a bit too foamy, dial it back a bit until you get it how you like it.

You're best off making sure you get your beer line length and serving pressure about right first, then use the flow control to make fine adjustments.

The screw threads are for attaching a sparkler, although some of the Dalex taps have a sparkler insert in the nozzle anyway - unscrew it and have a look...if there's one in there, you can poke it out if you don't want to use it.