Kegerator Electrics?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
nil_fhios_agam

Kegerator Electrics?

Post by nil_fhios_agam » Fri May 22, 2009 4:41 pm

Couple of questions regarding Kegerators and electrics.

1) I had to move the thermostat on the fridge I have. There were 4 cables connected between the light and the thermostat. I had an old deep fat frier flex and I split the internals cables from that to use. Was this a bad idea? Don't know much about electrics.
2) When I opened the thermostat covering there is a long unshielded mental pipe, about 2-3mm thick. I have a feeling this is the thermo rod. Is this safe to leave exposed or should I cover it with sheilding tape, it isn't live but I am not sure what to do?
3) I had to cut back the shelf racks on the side, I now have a strip of un proteced foam inside the firdge, should this be sheilded also?

Thanks

sparky Paul

Re: Kegerator Electrics?

Post by sparky Paul » Fri May 22, 2009 4:58 pm

nil_fhios_agam wrote:1) I had to move the thermostat on the fridge I have. There were 4 cables connected between the light and the thermostat. I had an old deep fat frier flex and I split the internals cables from that to use. Was this a bad idea? Don't know much about electrics.
2) When I opened the thermostat covering there is a long unshielded mental pipe, about 2-3mm thick. I have a feeling this is the thermo rod. Is this safe to leave exposed or should I cover it with sheilding tape, it isn't live but I am not sure what to do?
3) I had to cut back the shelf racks on the side, I now have a strip of un proteced foam inside the firdge, should this be sheilded also?
1)Flex big enough for a fryer should be okay to extend the thermostat. Make sure the joints are secure (i.e. not just twisted wires) and insulated. If you have moved the thermostat outside the fridge compartment, you could simply do away with the light.
2)The metal pipe is the capillary pipe to the sensing bulb. You don't need to insulate this, just make sure it cannot come into contact with anything live.
3)The foam should be okay, but it will break up if damaged. Put a capping or duct tape over it if you think it needs any mechanical protection.

Hope this helps! :wink:

bazbaby3
Steady Drinker

Re: Kegerator Electrics?

Post by bazbaby3 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Take a look at this Bazbaby beer fridge
mmmmmmm beer!
Fv1 - Wheatbeer.
Fv2 - Nothing.
Cornie1 - Orfys hob goblin clone.
Cornie2 - Styrian stuner.