GARYSMIFF 'S SYSTEM (RIMS)

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
GARYSMIFF

Re: GARYSMIFF 'S SYSTEM (RIMS)

Post by GARYSMIFF » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:22 pm

SORRY SORRY :cry:

"Do all PIDs have power limiting capabilities"

I only have one so can not say, but would think they have an electronic hand break.

adm

Post by adm » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:29 pm

I think that they pulse the power on and off.....so it's not really a power limiter, but it limits the time that the power is actually on in small steps (i.e. digital fashion). Basically, pulse width control as opposed to output power control - effectively it's on at full power when it's on...but it's only on in pulses.

I may be wrong, and I haven't looked into it, but judging from the "output" light on my HLT PID, that's what it looks as if it does - i.e when it's a fair way away from the heating setpoint it is on continually, but as it approaches that point it fires the SSR for shorter and shorter pulses, then once it reaches the setpoint it just fires every so often for a very short time to add just enough energy to keep the required temperature.

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:36 pm

I can run mine at +- 100% I find that running at 50% power is more than enough, I only run at 75% when Im mashing out. but mine is from NASA...lol

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:36 pm

I was asking if i could use a lower wattage heatstick cus of the fact that rims doesn't usualy use the heater to heat the water- only keep the water at a constant temp, if 2 kw is powerful enough to actualy heat water up that amount then maybe we don't really need one that powerful, and keeping in mind the reason why people go for HERMs systems is because of the high surface temps of the heating elements possibly heating small amounts of wort in contact with the element to too high a temp, it may be beneficial to keep the surface temps as low as poss, herms is not really necesary, rims with a well insulated tun and a lower power element could be suficent?

Is my logic making sence or am i way off target? :)

Steve

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:23 am

I agree that rims with a well insulated tun and a lower power element would be suficent, providing you strike close to your target, as the stick is purely used to babysite the mash and shake its rattle when temprature cools.
Providing you take into account any heat loss from plumbing ,pump and ambient temprature you should be fine.

You could always create a HERMS with an extra vessel if the RIMS dont work out.

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:50 pm

If you are still looking for 2mm perforated stainless steel sheet:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &R=1828360

£16.95 + VAT for two sheets 500 x 500mm, 0.55mm thick.

How did you fix and seal the cartridge heater in the 15/22mm compression, did you ream it to a really good engineering fit?
If so, that's probably beyond my bodgery!
I'm off to get the 15/22 soon, got all the other bits...

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

The 15-22 came with a adaptor type fitting, I rimmed out the fitting with a file( take it slow).

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks Garysmiff,

No trouble finding the compression insert in the local hardware shop once I knew what I was looking for.
I can foresee a bit of JB-Weld stopping the leaks when I come to file it badly!
All the rest is assembled and water tested, although only cold so far.

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:44 am

Hi Gary, am about to order my cartridge heater stick, i have gone for the same size as yours. =D> here in france we have 16mm copper fittings, i presume i could just compress on to the heat stick with a 16mm Tee? Did you file out the 15mm olive to 16mm then just tighten the nuts to compress it a little?

cheers!

Steve

Subsonic

Post by Subsonic » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 pm

I've had the same problem building in France and finding 16mm. Another tip - When you are in France be careful ordering 'copper pipe'. Copper pipe is called 'conduit'. If you say, 'Je voudrais un pipe' (i.e. I want some pipe it acutually means, 'I want a blow job'! Been there and done it.... Wouldn;t have minded if the checkout person was some French totty, but it was a bloke who looked a bit cheesed off. Subsonic

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:49 pm

LOLLYPOP?

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:03 am

EccentricDyslexic

Sorry I did not answer your Q: but you may have seen that befuggled got the answer, on the 22mm T you need to get a compression insert , an olive will work, I expect the 16mm pipe fittings would be better( if only I knew in FR they had 16mm).

befuggled

Did you take any pics? of your compression insert and heat stick?

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:44 am

I did not take any pic of the insides, but as you might have read elsewhere, my first cartridge heater is duff and I have ordered a couple more. Marya (heater@cartridge-heater.com) has not responded yet; she was pretty quick last time.
I will take pics when I re-build it. Not being a craftsman, mine is done by opening out the compression inset to 16mm with a step drill then using o-rings and ptfe tape to seal.
No leaks yet and it has done several hours work re-circulating mash, but little with the heater on because of the failure.

The brief test I did looked extremely promising. At 3.25 lpm and at two temperatures, I was getting an 8C rise on each pass through the RIMS heater, far too early to say what this really means and all the more frustrating (the wife had to have GW's Discovery rather than DL's Stella this weekend!!).

Now planning a trip to France for some pipe, except my French is so bad I will probably end up with some conduit.

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:01 am

Befuggled, how much are you paying direct from Marya? She quoted me €39.71 delivered to France. Its more expensive than i had hoped cutting out the middle man. Considering the problems you had with reliability, i am considering just using another argos element instead.

steve

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:43 am

My invoice says 15.18 euros for the heater, 14.41 euros for UPS transport, total 29.59 euros.
But that is for 16mm diam, 200mm long, 1800W (all she had in stock at the time).

The UK alternatives are about 32 - 55 euros + VAT + shipping!!

(Must sort out where the damn euro key is!!)

If you use Argos kettle elements, you will probably end up making a HERMS rather than a RIMS (if I understand it right!).
The RIMS heater is in contact with the mash liquor, whereas the HERMS heater is in a "bath" though which the liquor is piped.
I would be very surprised if reliablity was really an issue, these people would go out of business :wink:

Whatever, I still have not heard from Marya, so I might have to rource localy after all...