S/steel pot suppliers

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Scotty

S/steel pot suppliers

Post by Scotty » Sun May 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Having done my first AG yesterday, I have already concluded that a brew length of 23 litres is too little against the time it takes. For a little extra I could double the amount and for that I would need a bigger set-up.

I would rather go all-out and buy stainless and I'm looking for stockpots of 70 litres or more to convert to a boiler/HLT. Ideally I would be after something that can be heated by gas, but willing to convert to electric if needs be.

Davej

Re: S/steel pot suppliers

Post by Davej » Sun May 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Snap... Been looking for some S.Steel stock pots that size but they are either out of stock or way too expensive.

I found one at the right price here http://www.buycatering.com/pots-pans-ro ... 419p3.html but they never seem to have stock.
Nordic Optical in Germany doesnt seem to be selling on ebay either which was a shame as they did a very good bain marie that would make a perfect mash tun.

Good luck on the search

Dave

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Waffty » Sun May 24, 2009 8:51 pm

Nordic still sell via Ebay but for some reason, they only advertise on the French Ebay.

Bought a 70L stock pot two months ago, so know they're still going. Found the link on here somewhere, so give them a try.

Darren
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

brewzone

Post by brewzone » Sun May 24, 2009 9:20 pm

Here is the link.

Nordic France

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Sun May 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Excellent to see this as i have been looking for NO pots to spec size prices for my new set up. I can't access ebay on my offshore pc but will look at this when i get home, cheers guys. =D>

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Sun May 24, 2009 9:29 pm

Few guys in a thread in the eBay forum were writing off in French as it's on French eBay but if you don't fancy using your best Franglais they still read and write English!
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun May 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Davej wrote:.

I found one at the right price here http://www.buycatering.com/pots-pans-ro ... 419p3.html but they never seem to have stock.
They are 10 minutes down the road from me. I could pop over sometime this week if possible and see what I can do if you like?

Davej

Post by Davej » Sun May 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Thanks for the offer but think I will check out the stuff in France as I like the insulated pots.

Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:28 pm

I also am starting to piece together a 10 gallon set up to start my all grain hobby.

I have already purchased a 38.5 marmite thermo box from Nordic Optical and am wondering whether two 70 litre stainless stock pots from Nordic would be ample as a starting point to make a HLT and boiler(both electric)?

Would this size be sufficient, and are they of good quality?

Cheers for any advice,
John.

sib67

Post by sib67 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:49 am

Johnnyboy wrote:I also am starting to piece together a 10 gallon set up to start my all grain hobby.

I have already purchased a 38.5 marmite thermo box from Nordic Optical and am wondering whether two 70 litre stainless stock pots from Nordic would be ample as a starting point to make a HLT and boiler(both electric)?

Would this size be sufficient, and are they of good quality?

Cheers for any advice,
John.
I don't think the 38.5 litre Thermo box will be big enough for a 10 gallon setup - I use the 60 litre version.

I use the 70 litre stockpot as my copper, and the 100 litre as my HLT - although the 70 litre would be fine. I am very happy with the quality of the Nordic Optical pans and Thermo boxes.

Zatoichi

Post by Zatoichi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:56 am

Yes the Nordic Optical stuff is very good for the price. My friend has two 70ltr pots and a 70ltr thermos as his mash tun, makes great beer! but he uses gas. Personally i would go with the 70ltr mash thermos as you can make stronger beers :D

Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks for those answers to my questions.

I had asked in a previous post regarding the size of my 38.5 thermos and was told that as long as I do not want to make strong beers (which I dont) it would be sufficient.

Am going to start with 5 gallon batches in the new year anyway until I get the hang of it so that if I make any mistakes I do not end up with large amounts of bad beer to pour away, and only when I feel confident will I move up in size.

Looks like I will be giving Nadne an Email regarding two pots on Monday.

Thanks again,
John.

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:24 pm

I had asked in a previous post regarding the size of my 38.5 thermos and was told that as long as I do not want to make strong beers (which I dont) it would be sufficient.
Yep, I use that size to make 10gall brews. And 70l stockpots will be perfect.

dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by dcq1974 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Time to buy a Shiney! :D
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

stu-le-brew
Hollow Legs

Post by stu-le-brew » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:33 pm

just thought I would contribute my 10 cents worth

I have now all stainless from Nordic I use a 70ltr HLT with an electric immersion, a 70ltr insulated marmite thermo vessel as a mash tun and a 100ltr stock pot for a boiler which I heat with gas. The boiler gives me plenty of room so I usually make 55-60 ltr brews thats finished beer volume. and it takes the same or less time as it used to take using my Burko boiler. Because of the size of the MT I have no limit on alcohol content but my range is usually 4.5-6.5%

The only mod I am thinking about is an immersion element to speedup time to reach boil, and some insulation for the MT and HLT

good luck
Stu-le-brew
All stainless system, thanks supplier on EBay France
100ltr Copper gas powered
80ltr insulated Mash Tun (Thermopot)
70ltr electric HLT with home made digital temp controller (with PID and SSR)
pumped sparge system and pumped stainless immersion chilling system for summer use (using a ice/water-bath)