Does it have to be round or will square work?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Does it have to be round or will square work?

Post by Waffty » Fri May 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Given the issues I've had of fitting a ball valve to my Nortic Bain Marie, it got me thinking, do my vessels have to be round cylinder types or could I/we used square tanks?

I know the obvious i.e issues around keeping 'corners' clean/sanitised etc but if there was a way to remove/reduce the impact of these corners via use of 'curved' corners, pyramid base etc, could I get way with a square tank, for my HLT, Copper or mash tun? As in theory, these three don't need to be spotless clean, as the boil will remove the majority of 'nastys' from the other processes.

Darren.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

yashicamat
Under the Table

Re: Does it have to be round or will square work?

Post by yashicamat » Sat May 30, 2009 4:32 pm

As long as the strength is there, I don't see any issue with using a square vessel for either a mash tun or HLT (almost all coolbox mashtuns are cuboid anyway!). I think for the boiler though, a square container may tend to allow hops etc., to congregate into corners where they might not be given as much physical agitation and therefore slightly less bitterness extraction might take place. With a round boiler, there's nowhere to hide from the convection currents. May well not be an issue, especially if the boil is vigerous and is stirred occasionally.

Strength would still be my biggest concern, though, so I'd triple check that aspect on any container you think about using. Also remember that if at any time you move the boiler or HLT during the brewday (most likely unless you're lucky enough to have a pumped system), a square container will be a lot less rigid than a cylinderical one. If the container is very sturdy then it won't be an issue, but another aspect worth noting.

Hope this is of some help. :)
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sat May 30, 2009 7:59 pm

I use a square polypropylene box (£5) for my HLT. For a mash tun, I think a round vessel is the ideal, because corners will lose heat more quickly. Of course loads of us get by fine with our rectangular cool boxes.

yashicamat
Under the Table

Post by yashicamat » Sat May 30, 2009 9:42 pm

Hogarth wrote:I use a square polypropylene box (£5) for my HLT. For a mash tun, I think a round vessel is the ideal, because corners will lose heat more quickly. Of course loads of us get by fine with our rectangular cool boxes.
IIRC, your HLT is on a top shelf and doesn't move? I think it's yours I'm thinking of, though . . .
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sun May 31, 2009 9:45 am

Yeah, that's me. :D The long flat side does bulge a bit at 85°C, and would certainly do so more at 100°C -- I've never tried. But for a dedicated HLT it works fine.

Waffty

Post by Waffty » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:11 pm

Some good stuff here, I think I'll speak to the fabricator & see if he can either do a round vessel or maybe a hybrid i.e a square vessel, with rounded corners & a pyramid bottom.

I let you know with what he comes back with :^o
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea

Waffty

Post by Waffty » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:12 pm

Just had a chat & they can do round, flat bottomed tank & as a first pass, they talking £300 + Vat for a 200L tank, with lid, plus they'll fit whatever bosses I require in with the price but the ball valves etc themselves will be sold at cost.

Need to redifine the requirements, as the measurements don't suit my needs i.e rounder than they're tall, I could do with them being slightly narrower & a bit taller.

Will keep you posted.
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea