Cornie keg FAQ?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Scotty

Cornie keg FAQ?

Post by Scotty » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:26 am

Any chance of a FAQ for those of us who are new to cornelius kegs?

I find it quite difficult to pinpoint information needed to answer a question sufficiently without hours of trawling through the many posts. I understand Chris produced a 'how to' page, but it might be more beneficial for others to include things like beer lines, line length etc

Also I have a question :D

One cornie has been sitting at room temperature since being filled and is subject to evaporation cooling just to bring the temperature down before serving. It has been gassed to 20psi and is very carbonated. What do I need to do to reduce the carbonation level without changing the other factors ie room temperature etc?

mdex

Re: Cornie keg FAQ?

Post by mdex » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Have you had a look here Scotty?

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/cornelius.htm

chazzb

Post by chazzb » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Right, this is going to make me look like a retard and I'm poised to absorb the laughter.....

...but I just bought a 2nd hand reconditioned Cornie Keg, and I'm buggered if I can figure out how to open it. Twist, pull, push, chant?

I don't want to damage it.

adm

Post by adm » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:50 pm

Release the pressure first!

There's normally a pull ring or lever in the middle of the lid. Lift this until the pressure has gone, then pull up the main lid handle and give it a push down.

If there's no pressure release in the lid (some don't have them), just push the centre piece of one of the posts down with a en or something to achieve the same end.

Parva

Post by Parva » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:24 pm

To reduce your carbonation Scotty just release all of the pressure out of the keg, leave it for an hour or two, release again then pressure it back up to serving pressure (10-12PSI). You may have to repeat this if it's still too fizzy.

Edited for bad grammar and spelling. :(
Last edited by Parva on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Parva wrote:To reduce your carbonation Scotty just release the all of the pressure in the keg, leave it for an hour or two, release again then pressure it back up to serveing pressure (10-12PSI). You may have to repeat this if it's still too fizzy.
Thanks Parva, I'll do that tomorrow ready for my weekend off :wink:

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:09 pm

Is it just me, or does anyone else really like the noise pushing the pressure release ring makes?

mdex

Post by mdex » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:30 am

Borodave wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else really like the noise pushing the pressure release ring makes?
Ha ha, it is quite a good noise.

I had 2 cornies delivered to work at the beginning of the week and scared a few people when I pulled the pressure release valve.

Was quite funny :mrgreen:

adm

Post by adm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:39 am

Borodave wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else really like the noise pushing the pressure release ring makes?
It scares the proverbial out of my dog!

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:08 pm

Well, I suppose you have to get your kicks from somewhere :wink:

Maybe it's a 'boro thing? :shock:

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:03 pm

Haha, maybe. I have a question regarding cornies, my beer never gets fizzy enough, atm its about pub fizz or a bit less, whereas I prefer a bit more fizz, however no matter what it wont go fizzy enough. they are sat in a warm room, is this the problem?

Parva

Post by Parva » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:07 pm

Borodave wrote:Haha, maybe. I have a question regarding cornies, my beer never gets fizzy enough, atm its about pub fizz or a bit less, whereas I prefer a bit more fizz, however no matter what it wont go fizzy enough. they are sat in a warm room, is this the problem?
Cooler is better yes but you should be able to compensate by upping the gas pressure though I couldn't say whether you would be able to get it upto lager levels of fizz at room temperature.