Food Grade Sealant

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
gunner

Food Grade Sealant

Post by gunner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm just about to convert my NO SS 70L,and was just running through everything one last time when my search of JB weld came back with some negative feedback concerning its claim to be food grade.

I have had a quick google for a suitable substitute with mainly US products.I have found this company in W Yorkshttp://www.bond-it.co.uk/documents/FG8.pdf.It claims to stand up to extreme heat but not to be used with un primed ferrous metals such as copper.As my running nipple is brass,is it suitable or not.Or could i seal the SS washer from the outside pot wall.

Any suggestions or products that anybody else may be using from the UK most appreciated.

Regards Graham.

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Food Grade Sealant

Post by Garth » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 pm

what/why are you wanting to seal with JB weld?

all fittings can be affixed to your pot with the use of fibre washers, they work well, usually they are on the exterior of the pot, ie for valves etc.

I have two 100 SS pots used for the copper and HLT with ballvalves and sight tubes on them, and a 50 litre insulated SS bottom drain mash tun, every fitting uses a fibre washer to seal and I've never had a leak.

Hop and Grape sell them, I don't think they are on the website but they are red and fit a 1/2" nipple great.

gunner

Post by gunner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm sure its on vossy's NO stockpot conversion,where it says about using JB weld on the nipple and SS washer on the inside of the pot to make a waterproof seal.
If i can use fibre washers problem solved,many thanks garth,will contact H&G for availability.

Graham.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Screwfix sell something called Liquid PTFE... I've used a tiny bit on my Mash Tun's Tank connector.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25548/Plu ... d-PTFE-50g
Operating temperature range -50ºC to 150ºC.
:)

gunner

Post by gunner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Garth thanks for the fibre washer shout,ordered some from H&G today.The guy wasnt sure if he had any left as he thought somebody had cleared him out of them a while ago,after a short conversation you were the guy he mentioned.Regular customer i take it. :D

Tried to order some wlp 05 as well,and his response was you and half of england,somebody had ordered 20 vials off him. :!:

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:58 pm

:oops: yep, done him over for his fibre washers at least twice.....I think I got 50 first time, then another 20 later on........

living 15 mins from H&G doesn't help with the brewing addiction y'know..... :D

the WLP-05 wasn't me though, 'onest guvnor...