Ball Valve

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
gunner

Ball Valve

Post by gunner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:00 pm

Received my SS ball valve(blue handle),the one vossy used to convert his NO pot.I am converting my 70L at the weekend,but on receiving the ball valve it's really hard to turn the handle both on and off.

Is this normal and it will gradually loosen or are they built like this.I'm a bit concerned that it will cause movement once in situ and therefore loosen the fittings and seals.

Graham.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Re: Ball Valve

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:12 pm

With use it will ease off, you could always just give it a drop or two of Olive oil and work it in a bit.
The Large Stainless washers on Vossy's shopping list should strengthen the area that the tap is connected.

gunner

Post by gunner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Cheers pd,will give the oil a go.Garth on a seperate post has recommended that i use fibre washers,thus not needing to use jb weld.Would not using the ss washers and using fibre washers have a negative effect on the stability of the ball valve in situ?

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:18 am

Mine didn't seal first time, I had to re-design a bit due to Thick walls on my Aluminium Stock Pot... Mine leaved because I couldn't tighten up everything as the curve of the pan side stopped me. With Stainless and it being thinner I wouldn't think you'd have this problem, I'd try lots of PTFE tape around the threads so it has to squeeze into the hole you've drilled and a good tighten up, though the fibre washer thing is worth a go too.

gunner

Post by gunner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:24 am

I think i will get some fibre washers as recommended by garth,then try to convert the pot without the use of silocone,but then still have the SS washers as a fall back plan.

Thanks for your input pd.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:05 pm

This might be a silly question, but is it hard to turn while mounted? If so, then it should work itself loose. If it is hard to turn in your hand then its a forces, vectors and ball bearing thing. Mount it and use some 40 weight motor oil and all should be fine.

Fletch :wink:
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:19 pm

flytact wrote:Mount it and use some 40 weight motor oil and all should be fine.
Stick to Olive Oil, you are making something you are going to Drink, its not a wheel bearing on a car... I'd prefer Olive Oil (or other vegetable oil) in my stomach than mineral Oil. ;)

gunner

Post by gunner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Its hard to turn in the hand,have drilled the hole in SS pot this evening,but am waiting for washers to turn up so cant gauge whether it will be easier to turn once mounted.The oil has made a slight difference,but would adjusting the nut on top of the valve make it easier to turn,or would this effect the workings of the valve?
Also on a slight angle to thread,i have bought a male elbow for the front of the valve,but when i screw it in it faces upwards,is it just a case of adding some plumbers tape to thread of elbow to adjust it tightly in correct position.

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 pm

use the ss washers on the inside, they will make it more stable and what the others have said, it will loosen up in time, especially if it has some liquid on it when you are brewing, mine glide open and closed now, but were very stiff to start off with.

as for the bend facing upwards, this has happened to me nearly every time, I know exactly what you mean, it never faces the way you want when fully tightened, like you suggested go with the plumbers tape, tighten it up fully then turn it back to where you want, it'll only be half turn at the most and they usually don't leak.

I also find some fixings/seals need running in, they may weep slightly but a soon as you get a bit heat on the job, ie turn the boiler on, it stops, this happens with fibre washer especially the ones that come with immersion elements.

gunner

Post by gunner » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Thanks Garth,good to know i'm not the only one that these things seem too happened too.I was in screwfix today getting the fittings,and not having much experience in this sort of field,felt out of my depth some what.When i ordered the fittings there was a woman on the till who after a barrage of questions from me, that i thought she would be able to help with but couldn't,a large queue of builders had amassed behind me.

One of the builders then took over answering the questions,then asking me what i was using it for,next thing i know i'm in a full blown conversation with screwfix staff and general builders about AG brewing.Bizarre.