Fermenting Vessel

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
O'Henry

Fermenting Vessel

Post by O'Henry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:32 am

I have been delayed in bottling my current brew and want to get on to my next. I have a second fermenter but the lid doesn't seal quite right. When it was made there was a bow on the lip so it doesn't sit flush with the lid. It has been used to brew a batch once already and that was fine. Was it just luck it wasn't infected? Or is it unlikely that it will become infected through this gap which is basically in the thread of the lid?

I intend to brew a Scottish Light/Heavy with Wyeast1084 if that helps at all.

crafty john

Re: Fermenting Vessel

Post by crafty john » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:40 am

Don't worry about it the CO2 will keep out any infection, I brew mostly in buckets with a snap on lid and I just crack the lid open a bit to let out the CO2.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:15 pm

A couple of light weights such as cups or plates will flatten it out. CO2 will still be able to escape OK.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

arturobandini
Under the Table

Post by arturobandini » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:25 pm

Lids are there mostly to stop stuff falling in or getting to the sweet nectar. I always leave my lid slightly cracked open to allow excess co2 chance to escape and never had an infection of any sort.
Planning - Not for a long while

Fermenting - I'm Done

Bottle Maturing - Hobgoblin, Fullers ESB, American Stout, TOP, Fullers London Porter, Bandini Black IPA

Drinking - Still...Whiskey

O'Henry

Post by O'Henry » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks for your replies guys. I will definently be using it shortly then. In fact, I finished up my job today, so what better way to celebrate then to brew tomorrow...