argos coolbox

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sam c

argos coolbox

Post by sam c » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:08 pm

ok so ive found a 24 litre coolbox for £14 from argos to convert into a mash tun.

first question is has anyone ever used one of these from there and is it any good?

second is, is 24 litres big enough? i will mostly be making 5% beers but would probably like to do a few IPA's so maybe beers up tp 6%/7% which would obviously use more grain therefor take up more space. the brew lengths would generaly be 23 litres but wouldn't mind doing 19 litres for stronger beers if i need to. any feed back would be great.

cheers

ChrisG

Re: argos coolbox

Post by ChrisG » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Never used one, but have a thermos cool box that holds the same.

Seems to work out at 7.5Kg of grain with mash water, thats it filled to the top.

;)

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:23 pm

As ChrisG says, no problem with volumes, but the Argos boxes are flimsy.

That's not to say it can't be done, IIRC a few people have converted these... I would think that so long as you aren't rough with it, it should last a while.

sam c

Post by sam c » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:13 pm

ChrisG wrote:Never used one, but have a thermos cool box that holds the same.

Seems to work out at 7.5Kg of grain with mash water, thats it filled to the top.

;)
thanks for the replies.

if your mash tun is filled up to the top how would you go about batch sparging. my understanding was that you top up the mash tun with the first batch of sparge water. if there is no space left in the mash tun what do you do? or do you fly sparge?

having said that if i only used 5kg of grain would that leave enough space for the first batch of sparge water,8.5 litres, to be added?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:29 pm

I bought a cool box today in ASDA(£7.00) If I'm going to use a flimsy one it may as well be cheap! I will be injecting it with polyurethane expanding foam to improve isulation and rigidity.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

sam c

Post by sam c » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:49 pm

i had a look on there web site today and couldn't find that one. i have seen it on here before but they didn't seem to have it any more. might have to take a trip there if you say they have them in stock at the store.half the price!!good stuff

Parva

Post by Parva » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:39 pm

You have an Argos and an Asda in Thailand? :P

sam c

Post by sam c » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:42 pm

no no sorry havent changed my profile yet. got back two days ago. now im looking forward to getting the AG gear together. thanks to the help form people on here i have it all planed out. i think?!

wetdog

Post by wetdog » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:26 am

i use an Argos mash cool box as a mash tun. holds its temperature well and I normally brew in range of 5-6% with no problems. Only thing I wouldn't recommend is lifting it by the handle when its full of grain and water as I think it may give out on you, so you've either got to be strong enough to lift it by slipping your fingers underneath, or make sure its at a suitable height before you fill it

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:25 am

sam c wrote:
ChrisG wrote:Never used one, but have a thermos cool box that holds the same.

;)
thanks for the replies.

if your mash tun is filled up to the top how would you go about batch sparging. my understanding was that you top up the mash tun with the first batch of sparge water. if there is no space left in the mash tun what do you do? or do you fly sparge?

having said that if i only used 5kg of grain would that leave enough space for the first batch of sparge water,8.5 litres, to be added?
Dont batch sparge ;)

Fly sparge ;)