Beer escaping from the tap

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
miccutajar

Beer escaping from the tap

Post by miccutajar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:33 am

Hi

This is the first time I've made beer so all the equipment is new.

Yesterday I reached the 6 day so tested with hydrogometer and it was ok so put it in the pressure barrell

Since its been in the barrell I can head hissing from the white rubber plug in the top, is this normal? Should it steadily be releasing pressure

Also beer is leaking from the tap, I've tried tightening everything but there is nothing to tighten, could it be leaking because its not releasing enough pressure?

Help!

Thanks

sparky Paul

Re: Beer escaping from the tap

Post by sparky Paul » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:58 am

When you say you checked with a hydrometer and it was okay, what exactly do you mean? What readings have you had? Also, how much priming sugar did you add to the barrel?

Ideally, you should see the same hydrometer reading over 2-3 consecutive days before transferring to pressure barrel or bottles. This is to make sure that primary fermentation is complete, otherwise the fermentation may carry on in the barrel and over-pressurise it. The hissing from the top sounds like the pressure relief valve in the cap, this is not normal and indicates a faulty valve, or excessive pressure in the barrel. It's not unknown for the taps to weep when the pressure in the barrel is excessive.

If you suspect that you have transferred the beer before fermentation was complete, I would let it ferment out before going any further. You can release the pressure by carefully unscrewing the cap with a tea towel over it, releasing the gas and re-tightening. I would repeat this until there is no further gas build up over a couple of days, this would indicate that the fermentation is complete and you can then re-prime with the correct amount of priming sugar (around 80-90g) to achieve carbonation.

If you suspect that you added too much priming sugar, I would similarly release the pressure form the barrel, CO2 will come out of suspension and refill the airspace in the barrel. If the valve starts venting again after a day or two, repeat as necessary.

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:46 am

miccutajar wrote: Since its been in the barrell I can head hissing from the white rubber plug in the top, is this normal? Should it steadily be releasing pressure

Also beer is leaking from the tap
I take it you have a budget barrel, and with the temperature over the last couple of days I'm not surprised that gas is being vented off. This is normal and shows your pressure release valve is working OK.

Make sure your tap lever is in the three o'clock position with the oval outlet hole showing through the outer plastic facing you.

I would also move the keg to somewhere cooler now that you have sufficient pressure.

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:21 pm

I wouldn't have thought a gentle rise in temperature would not be enough to cause audible hissing from the relief, I may be wrong. :?

When I used to use budget barrels, I can't remember any continuous venting... I would have considered this a symptom of overpriming. As the relief is there to prevent the barrel going bang, I wouldn't expect to be pressurising that close to its limit, as a matter of course.

Welcome to the forum by the way! 8)

miccutajar

Post by miccutajar » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi

thanks for all the help! - as both the replies -as helpful as they are seem to slightly contradict each other (thanks to my rubbish first post) i thought i would tell you exactly what i have done as i don't think i gave you guys enough info!

this is the first time i have done this (but have wanted to for a while now), i got a youngs kit as a present.

i let it ferment for 6 days (the instructions said 4 to 6), bubbles seemed to have stopped rising, i only did one hydrometer once and it was in the black 30 grams per ltr, 10 on the specific gravity - i then moved it into the pressure barrel and added 85g of normal household sugar.

im really worried ive messed up my first batch! the instructions on the youngs kit are a bit all over the place and whats annoying is none of it tells you why you are doing what they are asking... it just says to add sugar, but not what it does if that makes sense.

thanks again

mike

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:43 am

I had a leaking tap on my top tap king keg that constantly dripped. Was only fixed by a tap replacement but, given the nature of the cheapie taps used on these things, am expecting more of the same in future.

Laid out on a dalex tap via ebay but murphy's law ensured it's too small for the aperture on the barrell.

Hawkinspm

Post by Hawkinspm » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:42 am

I have a budget barrel that leaks via the tap for no apparent reason. Seems the tap takes less pressure to leak than the relief valve takes to open which is annoying to say the least. I now prime with less sugar and release the pressure on the barrel if I spot so much as a drop leaking out.

ADDLED

Post by ADDLED » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:50 pm

miccutajar wrote:Hi

thanks for all the help! - as both the replies -as helpful as they are seem to slightly contradict each other (thanks to my rubbish first post) i thought i would tell you exactly what i have done as i don't think i gave you guys enough info!

this is the first time i have done this (but have wanted to for a while now), i got a youngs kit as a present.

i let it ferment for 6 days (the instructions said 4 to 6), bubbles seemed to have stopped rising, i only did one hydrometer once and it was in the black 30 grams per ltr, 10 on the specific gravity - i then moved it into the pressure barrel and added 85g of normal household sugar.

im really worried ive messed up my first batch! the instructions on the youngs kit are a bit all over the place and whats annoying is none of it tells you why you are doing what they are asking... it just says to add sugar, but not what it does if that makes sense.
thanks again
mike
Hey Mike i think your batch will be ok. Sparky Paul is probably right about the fermentation, though 6 days is normally enough for primary fermentation to complete, especially as its warm(ish... been bloody baltic in London for the past week!). Perhaps youve overfilled the barrel? Either way, i wouldnt worry about the release valve, i would be more concerned with the tap.
Is it a lever tap?
Or a drum tap?

Ive never had a problem with levertaps but the drum taps can stick and also sometimes you think theyre shut off but the threads crossed so its not completely closed off.

Im sure your beer will be ok as theres obviously nothing nasty getting in with all that gas escaping. just make sure you condition it for a few weeks. best of luck