King keg has suddenly split!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
OldThumper

King keg has suddenly split!

Post by OldThumper » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Hi all,

My bottom tap KK has very recently split near the bottom, squirting out a fine spray of beer under pressure. Having emptied the barrel I can see there is 4 inch long split and on the opposite side of the barrel the plastic also looks like it will do the same soon as it looks thinner and has many tears appearing. I assume this a design fault and as the barrel is about 3-4 months old I am wondering if it is under some sort of guanrantee, although I doubt I have the receipt anymore. :(

Has anybody else experienced this sort of thing and managed to get a free replacement? :?:

I have been using the barrel for the last 3 to 4 months fine and during this time I imagine the pressure inside the barrel has gradually been forcing the tear in the weakened plastic. It looks a bit like somebody has run a Stanley knife down it.

I will phone the home brew shop tomorrow and then possibly Youngs (who I think make them?) and see what they say.

Cheers.

Horden Hillbilly

Re: King keg has suddenly split!

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:21 pm

Iirc, new king kegs come with a years guarantee.

Titanium Tone

Post by Titanium Tone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Take it back to the HBS i feel sure they will exchange it for you. I had a simalar problem with a KKTT the cap would not seat properly and i could not get a seal my HBS changed it no problem. TT.

OldThumper

Post by OldThumper » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:29 pm

thanks guys.

Are they obliged to change it if I cannot give a receipt?

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:42 pm

No, if you don't have proof of purchase they are not obliged to replace it. If you have a bank statement with the homebrew shops debit date, that might help.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Titanium Tone

Post by Titanium Tone » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:03 pm

If it's only a few months old and you went into the shop to purchase it hopefully they will remember you.TT.