Modifying a Budget Barrel

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Modifying a Budget Barrel

Post by dcq1974 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi All

I have a large pub gas CO2 cylinder usually used with Cornies however, I like the idea of producing some real cask ales with the use of a pressure barrel.

Does anyone out there know if there is a conversion fitting so I can gas a pressure barrel with a large cylinder of CO2 with regulator? Can a pressure barrel lid be customised to take say a cornie post fitting?

Cheers

Darren
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

mickoh

Re: Modifying a Budget Barrel

Post by mickoh » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Got to take issue with your signature matey

I am the last person to be 'politically correct' - believe me I am further from that that you can believe

People who come on this forum have the same passion for the same topic - irrespective of what team they bat for

Don't want to start a discussion board war

dcq1974

Post by dcq1974 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Cheers for the post - I must say I am neither politically correct nor homophobic :cry:

I have used this term for a long time - in fact it originated as a saying during the time I studied part time for 12 long years as well as working full time with a family etc hence I got little sleep.

The dictionary has many terms for "queer" such as

1. Deviating from the expected or normal; strange: a queer situation.
2. Odd or unconventional, as in behaviour; eccentric. See Synonyms at strange.
3. Of a questionable nature or character; suspicious.
4. Slang Fake; counterfeit.
5. Feeling slightly ill; queasy.

Oh and off course it has also been used as an offensive slang meaning homosexual.

Sorry if you find my use of a common word of the English language upsetting, but if we are now at a point where we cannot use English in its traditional way then.........
Anyway if you are taking the statement the way I believe YOU think it is meant then I guess I am then calling all normal beings gay, sorry homosexual then?

Look if it really upsets fellow brewers on this site then I will gladly remove it, it really wasn't my intention - but please come on!

My kids used to call me Dr. White (stays up all night). Wonder if this will cause any controversy with a link to 1970s womens items?

Apologies for upsetting any fellow members - not my intention.
Last edited by dcq1974 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

Tequilla6

Post by Tequilla6 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:50 pm

I wanted to do the same thing and found the Universal Barrel hose at the Hop & Grape along with some JG fittings to my 7Kg Co2 canister prior to me getting some Cornies from Norm.

Is that what you want or some other queer device to attach to Conie posts, I've seen mention of these modifications on the forums but buggered if I can find em. :wink:

dcq1974

Post by dcq1974 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:57 pm

Cheers Tequilla.
I've looked at the Hop & Grape link. How does that gismo work? I have a 7 kg CO2 cylinder and a reg (ex Norm) so hence this has a JG fitting so I could attach said hose to a budget barrel.

I take it the black (screw thread) fits onto a budget barrel S30 valve or other such fitting?

Be great if it works - that way I can keep cornies and pressure barrels with the same CO2 supply. I just want the option as I did a polypin of cask ale recently and I have to be honest it blew away the same ale from a cornie (which had too much Carbonic bite). I suppose the way around this if I cannot get a pressure barrel fitting is to give the cornie a blummin good shake prior to serving and keep my nice 6 foot beer line? :shock:

Any help greatly appreciated
DCQ Ph.D

author in

**OUT NOW**

Tequilla6

Post by Tequilla6 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:02 am

Yeah, John @ H&G supplied me with 2 UB Hoses a 3/8th 2way connector and 2 3/8 Hose barbs as far as I can remember for my two barrels, The only issue is the isolation of the individual barrels as I don't trust them as far as I can throw them not to leak gas. (With beer in that's not very far by the way) John is real helpful and a telephone call and a chat and I'm sure he will sort you out will all you need.

Cheers

dcq1974

Post by dcq1974 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:07 am

Cheers again Tequilla
I have emailed H&G earlier today but apparently John is away at the moment and will reply when he returns.

I'll see what he has to say on this then.

Thanks mate
DCQ Ph.D

author in

**OUT NOW**

nofe4r

Post by nofe4r » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:40 pm

I wanted to do the exact same thing as discussed here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23118

Here are some pictures of what I ended up with.

Currently I have only one barrel connected. But when I have two on the go I split the supply from the regulator and each one is fed through an isolator valve. The inlet rubber valve is removed on the S30. Then when I want to remove/connect another barrel I isolate the other barrel to keep the pressure while I connect/remove the other one.

mac

Post by mac » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:07 pm

mickoh wrote:Got to take issue with your signature matey

I am the last person to be 'politically correct' - believe me I am further from that that you can believe

People who come on this forum have the same passion for the same topic - irrespective of what team they bat for

Mickoh,
What do you call a homosexual flying one of Richard Bransons jumbo jets?

dcq1974

Post by dcq1974 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:05 pm

Cheers nofe4r

Much appreciated
DCQ Ph.D

author in

**OUT NOW**

mickoh

Post by mickoh » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:22 pm

mac wrote:

Mickoh,

I've got no idea but imagine this is going to be bad.......... #-o #-o

Invalid Stout

Post by Invalid Stout » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:10 pm

mac wrote:What do you call a homosexual flying one of Richard Bransons jumbo jets?
A pilot?

mac

Post by mac » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:32 pm

mickoh wrote:
mac wrote:

Mickoh,

I've got no idea but imagine this is going to be bad.......... #-o #-o
It's a pilot of course. Only someone with a homophobic mind would think otherwise. :lol: