Building a brewery stand?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DC
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Building a brewery stand?

Post by DC » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi all, After recently completing my AG setup and completing my 1st AG brew I am now contemplating building some sort of stand / fixed point to house my brewing equipment. During the 1st brew it was a case of hlt on top of another small FV to get the height to run off mash liquor into mashtun then lifting the mashtun onto a bench :shock: to allow the wort to run into the boiler and then making sure boiler was up high enough to allow run off into the FV. I managed it okay but would much rahter prefer to have all the vessells at the correct heights and not have to worry about moving vessells full of hot or boiling wort around whilst brewing :shock: I have included a couple of photo's of my bar which I have in my garage which is fixed to the wall. I am thinking of ripping this out (see 1st photo) and making a small mobile bar (Like Talismans bar) which will house my cornies & gas etc, which I can push up against the wall when not in use and then building some sort of frame/stand to house my brewery vessells etc where the wine rack is behind all the mess (see 2nd photo to the right). Just wondering if anyone can suggest some sort of frame or design that I could use to house all my vessells :?: Ive been looking at these types of stands (check out the link) http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... 00#p116446

PS ! Dont mind the mess :wink: need to tidy the garage up :shock: Ive got a pub pool table in there some where :lol:

Thinking of ripping this out and building a mobile bar

Thinking of building a permenant brewery housing where the wine rack is below, under the blue box, behind the chairs

Cheers DC
FV No 1: Nowt
FV No 2: Nowt
FV No 3: Nowt
FV No 4: Nowt
Pressure Barrel No 1: Nowt
Conditioning: Nowt
Drinking: Nowt
Planning:
Yeast Bank: SafAle S04, Youngs Cider Yeast.

adm

Re: Building a brewery stand?

Post by adm » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Here's how I built my frame: clicky

It's a bit "rustic", but it's incredibly strong and should last forever. It's also really nice to have so much space. Since then, I've added in a temperature controlled fermenting cupboard and put a PID and timer controller on the HLT. It all works really well and i've had quite a few successful brews on it. i keep meaning to clad out the rest and make it look pretty with with moulding and stain......but I probably never will.

It also doubles as a great workbench - if you've got the room, I'd say go for a similar approach. All you need is a few lengths of 2 x 4, a couple of sheets of ply and an old kitchen worktop and sink from freecycle.

DC
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DC » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi adm, Thats just the sort of thing I was looking for mate :wink: I can picture my garage now with a similar setup installed and all my brewery equipment in place ! Just got to build it / put it into practice ! I have a wine rack (see pic below) that I was thinking I could maybe convert this by adding plywood or similar type boards and sitting the brewery vessells on this instead of building the frame from scratch. I was thinking I could maybe add another small table to the top of the wood on top of the wine rack to sit the hlt on then put the rest of the vessells on the coverted wine rack !

This is the type of wine rack I have

You can just make it out hiding in the background here !

Cheers DC
FV No 1: Nowt
FV No 2: Nowt
FV No 3: Nowt
FV No 4: Nowt
Pressure Barrel No 1: Nowt
Conditioning: Nowt
Drinking: Nowt
Planning:
Yeast Bank: SafAle S04, Youngs Cider Yeast.

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:56 am

Just finished tweeking my newly built gravity fed system. It's in use as I write; (GW's Londod Pride)

It's nice to have an excuse to show it off, so here's a pic.

My aim was to build something simple, without pumps and to avoid the need to lift anything heavy. I managed to achieve this, but still need to move the FV into the fermenting fridge.

If, like me you want to make the most of the space in the garage, you can use fold away shelves. The shelves that my mash tun and boiler are standing on, fold flat against the wall when not in use. These are from Screwfix. They are a bit expensive but good quality and can hold around 230kg.

My advice with whatever you build is keep it simple.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

bramswell

Post by bramswell » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:32 am

Jubby
i did not notice the folding shelves, i was too busy wondering how you got 5 airline serving trollies off the plane without being noticed :lol:

gunner

Post by gunner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:18 am

Nice set up jubby,you dont work for BA do you,and are starting your month off unpaid. :D

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:06 pm

bramswell wrote:Jubby
i did not notice the folding shelves, i was too busy wondering how you got 5 airline serving trollies off the plane without being noticed :lol:
I slipped them out as hand luggage :lol:
gunner wrote:Nice set up jubby,you dont work for BA do you,and are starting your month off unpaid. :D
Thanks, and no fortunately i don't work for BA :)
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:15 pm

loving the set-up Jubs, looks like a nice clean brewing area you have there

really effective and simple, nice one,

so where did the airline trollies come from?

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:06 pm

That is looking good and clean Jubby, When the time comes I was planning to build something simple with wood like that of adm's along part of a garage wall with a window being near the boiler as I'm thinking of Gas at the moment.

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Garth wrote:loving the set-up Jubs, looks like a nice clean brewing area you have there

really effective and simple, nice one,

so where did the airline trollies come from?
I work for a charter airline and some of the other airlines we fly for don't collect their carts. At one time, we had a stack of them so I liberated a few :D
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing: