My bespoke Japanese garden brewshed with pics!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
stephenfranks

My bespoke Japanese garden brewshed with pics!

Post by stephenfranks » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:18 am

I am nearing the completion of my Japanese tea house style brewshed:

I built the shed myself (I am a builder) to quite a high specification (for a shed!!) including:

1) 4" Rockwool insulation in floor
2) 4" Fibreglass in walls
3) Full electrics including fused spurs for each switchable item (elements/pumps etc) which will be switched from a 12 way MK Grid Plus panel on one of the kitchen unit doors
4) I have wired for dual temperature controllers, one for HLT and one for mash tun (middle thermobox). HLT has burco element + kettle element and easy to fill from tap to left of tank. Mash tun will have 150w towel rail element to keep correct temp via temp controller without scorching grains (see screwfix for details) Mash tun will have a spinny sparge arm (Phils taken apart and parts replaced with bespoke chrome plated brackets)
5) Horizontal pumping from mash tun to boiler done by March May mag pump mounted underneath worktop (with valves and drain cocks for cleaning)
6) Boiler has permanent stainless immersion chiller fed from in and out stainless braided hoses. Turn butterfly valve and immersion chiller fills circulates and water exits via drain to left.
7) I bought a red wine fridge on Gumtree (£30) which cools between 13 and 17 degrees via digital controller - ideal for fermentation and then beer storage!
8) Computer with Beersmith and internet for recipes

Any thoughts comments what is good/bad? This is for first time AG brew...

e-brewer

Re: My bespoke Japanese garden brewshed with pics!

Post by e-brewer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:36 am

Well done that man ..what a set-up..

e-brewer

fife

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:46 am

Sugoi, Sugoi... Quite the Shinto Shrine of Brewing

You have a computer and Flatscreen in your posh shed!!
Looking really good, its just missing the otorii gate

Titanium Tone

Post by Titanium Tone » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:57 am

When can i move in everything one could want. TT.

stephenfranks

Post by stephenfranks » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Forgot to mention...

1) Shelves will be coming out of wine cooler
2) Bathroom fan going above boiler (cable hanging out of wall ready)
3) Pipework will be all chrome plated copper (couldnt afford stainless)

I hope first brew goes well! I'm thinking JHB or Wherry type beer, a smoked beer or an alt (recently went to Cambridge beer festival and had last two there)

stephenfranks

Post by stephenfranks » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Thank you for encouragement too, I appreciate it!

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 pm

very nice indeed! 8) what are you going to call your brewshed / brewery? when do you reakon youll get your first brew going in there?

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Nice work. =D>

stephenfranks

Post by stephenfranks » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:35 pm

Not sure about the name really.. I live in a shared courtyard call Abbotts Yard, so may call it Abbotts Brewery... Japanese name may be a bit corny?

I need to finish off some work to ceiling and get pipework etc done then I'll be ready to brew. I have struck up deal with local microbrewery for hops malt & live yeast. I will be doing small batch brewing 2g & 3g as my thermopots are only 30l... also it means i get to brew more frequently and have more variety!

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:12 pm

stephenfranks wrote:Not sure about the name really.. I live in a shared courtyard call Abbotts Yard, so may call it Abbotts Brewery... Japanese name may be a bit corny?

I need to finish off some work to ceiling and get pipework etc done then I'll be ready to brew. I have struck up deal with local microbrewery for hops malt & live yeast. I will be doing small batch brewing 2g & 3g as my thermopots are only 30l... also it means i get to brew more frequently and have more variety!

it all depends if you think a japanese name will sound corny or not, forget what everyone else thinks, its your brewshed!

yeah i brew 5 gallons a time but id say i prefer variety over quantity.

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:29 pm

Very nice, in fact, amazing and inspiring. I think I'll be building a shed this next year.

Good work fella. =D>

adm

Post by adm » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:42 pm

Very ice work indeed. I love the flatscreen monitor. Now you just need an armchair in there....

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:38 pm

Fantastic 8)

I particularly like the bamboo wort aerator outside the front door :lol:

pantsmachine

Post by pantsmachine » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:56 pm

That is one extremely cool brewhouse. I take it you are still piping it in? What's your choice there Stainless or copper? Regardless, its an absolute cracker! =D>

stephenfranks

Post by stephenfranks » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:13 am

Still need to finish off pipework, but alot of it is in the cavity already. Only the external pipework to do.

Chrome plated copper will be used - stainless too expensive and difficult to work with. I bought two stainless 8mm compression x 1/2" BSP couplings for my chiller and they were £9.50 + VAT each! Ouch..

I am pumping horizontally between MT and boiler using a March May mag pump. Will I have a problem when sparging using spinny arm with such low volume of water being pumped? Will the mag pump be OK or will I have to batch sparge?