Use of CO2 before secondary fermentation.

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
FullPint

Use of CO2 before secondary fermentation.

Post by FullPint » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:19 pm

I brewed a lovely SL clone last weekend, and barreled it up yesterday. Can't wait to drink it :=P
This was my first AG brew, so was trying to follow guidance directly from books and websites.
For some reason (I imagined reading it somewhere I guess), I decided that after syphoning into my pressure barrel, I would screw the cap on, then immediately inject a CO2 bulb :oops:
This is a full 25 litre brew with only 2 litres or so head room, so the pressure must be fairly high in there. I even noticed a small drip/leak coming from the black rubber seal of the tap. This has stopped now since I drew (gushed!) a couple of small glasses of beer, releasing some of the pressure. (These tasted fantastic by the way! :D)

Now I'm wondering whether:

a) secondary fermentation will be affected by the high pressure.
b) if my barrel will explode.
c) to drink my way through a few young pints to relax the pressure.
d) to slowly open the cap and let the pressure out (or will it go 'Boom'!?)
e) it'll be fine and to just forget about it [-o<

Any thoughts??

Eadweard
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Use of CO2 before secondary fermentation.

Post by Eadweard » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:36 pm

I'd carefullly open the cap and let some of the gas out myself.

Tequilla6

Post by Tequilla6 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:30 pm

I currently use pressure barrels and at secondary fermentation I would put a squirt of Co2 to confirm seals etc are good and then open up the screw top to allow the oxygen that should be on top of the Co2 to escape and then re-tighten and then give it another quick burst of co2. It's difficult to know how much pressure is in the barrel without a gauge, this is going to be my next purchase I guess. But so far I've not had any issues.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:32 pm

CO2 will tend to inhibit yeast a bit, but beer is very forgiving. Personally, I would be drinking a couple of pints to relieve the pressure somewhat. RDWHAHB.