what else do i need?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
lewis1981

what else do i need?

Post by lewis1981 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:09 pm

I am looking to start AG brewing i will make a boiler, mash tun, cooler and HLT. What i want to know is what other things will i need e.g what size syphon tubing etc. My boiler, HLT and mash tun will have ball valves if this is any help.

Also what is best, a false bottom mash tun out of a fermenter bucket or a coolbox mash tun. My boiler will be a 10 gal one but i will mostly be making 5 gal brews to start with.

i am quite interested in the cornie route as well. i have a budget pressure barrel but i would like to dispense from a cornie for ease.

Any comments would help.

thanks

Lewis

Grahame

Re: what else do i need?

Post by Grahame » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Syphon tubing etc all depends on your indicidual equipment for as for Mash Tun, I would personally go for the false bottom. It is easier to make, cheaper, and I would say performs a lot better (I own both types)

G.

lewis1981

Post by lewis1981 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 pm

I am going to buy a 60ltr bucket for my boiler, what size will i need for my HLT and false bottom mash tun. Will a standard youngs 23 ltr fermenter be ok or should i buy 33 ltr buckets.

lewis1981

Post by lewis1981 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Also is it best to buy a clear bucket for my HLT so i can make graduations on it to measure the volume.

Grahame

Post by Grahame » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:41 am

The 23L youngs bin is perfect for the mash tun, that is what I used, and I find that most plastic plates are a perfect size to fit snugly at the bottom. As for the boiler, I went for a 33L bucket from Leyland Homebrew, think it was about £17 delivered. It is nice and clear(ish) and handles the boil well. Only downside is if you try and make a 23L batch in it, it will boil over, as you have to fill it to the top to account for evaporation etc. If you drop the brew length to 21L though, it is perfect, and gives just enough to fill a corni then a few bottles :)

G.