Gas Regulator Control Board

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
kfm

Gas Regulator Control Board

Post by kfm » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:32 pm

Is this any use for connecting 70:30 N2/co2 and 60:40 mixed gas to my corny kegs? Cheers
Gas Control Board.jpg
Gas Control Board.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 900 times

adm

Re: Gas Regulator Control Board

Post by adm » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:09 pm

That looks perfect for CO2 - but you'll need a separate regulator for mixed gas

kfm

Post by kfm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks adm - would it be ok to put a mixed gas reg between the gas cyclinder and the board and then run gas lines from the board to the corny kegs? Or is this regulator board only for use with co2 and then get an entirely separate regulator for the mixed gas. Just thinking about getting a proper gas set up due the the Widget World's limitations but a bit clueless

Parva

Post by Parva » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:02 pm

CO2 and mixed gas regulators are completely different and non-interchangeable. You'll need one for each.

adm

Post by adm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:20 pm

I think you'd need at the very least a different primary regulator for the mixed gas cylinder - and definitely a different connection as they have different threads. That board will do you proud for CO2 as you can have three separate secondary pressures (and as many kegs as you want from each one), but for mixed gas you'll need another set (£30 or so from Norm for a basic preset one).

kfm

Post by kfm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks Parva - am pleased you've chimed in because I am emulating your set up to some extent (kegs kept at room temp and chilled through a Maxi 310). The thing is, I am wanting to serve 4 beers simultaneously (the Maxi 310 is a four product chiller) so on the gas side I am not sure how best to go about it. Basically I can get hold of 70:30 gas for my stouts and 60:40 for bitters and lagers. What I was thinking was to serve 2 x stouts off one 70:30 cylinder and 2 x lagers/bitters off 60:40 - that is why this board looked like it would be good because I thought I would be able to control the pressures to the kegs independently. I know adm uses the mixed gas as I have seen his enviable four shades pictures - how can I set up to get gas to all 4 corny kegs?

kfm

Post by kfm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks adm, our posts crossed but I see what you mean; it's a shame because I cannot get hold of pure co2 or I would be halfway there at least. I'm still not sure how to work two different mixed gas cylinders simultaneously. Is it the case of a separate primary regulator for each and then secondary regs to control pressures to the different kegs?

adm

Post by adm » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:26 pm

Fella, if you can get mixed gas, then I don't see why you can't get good old plain CO2? It's got to be available from the same supplier??? Personally, I thin there would be very little difference between 70/30 and 60/40 and both would make a lager or a bitter overly "creamy" - which is OK if that's what you want. I think all the mixed gas cylinders have the same connector, so you should be able to use any mix with the same regulator.

The mixed gas reg I have is a single unit reg - i.e. it just screws onto the gas bottle, and then the output plugs onto the corny keg. It's got no dials and is very simple (and preset with the correct pressure). For my stouts, I just use that as it "just works" - and i can just split the output if i have more than 1 stout on the go.

The board you posted the picture of is very much like my CO2 setup - one CO2 cylinder connected to the board, then up to 3 separate takeoffs for different gas pressures. To be honest, I keep most of my beers at more or less the same pressure, so it's maybe a bit redundant some times, but good to have nonetheless. I keep one output at a higher pressure for quick carbonating kegs beofre the get dropped into the kegerator

\

kfm

Post by kfm » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:35 am

They say they have the Greene King co2 cylinders but apparently they are small (whole point in going over to pub gas was to avoid changing cylinders every other week as per WW system). In full agreement re serving lager/bitter under mixed gas, though I've been told that pubs use 60:40 to serve them? Maybe serving them and force carbing them are two different procedures. Anyways, the thought of creamy lager means I will have to search out a co2 supply. Cheers for responses - no doubt questions to follow re connecting the cylinders up.

Parva

Post by Parva » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:26 pm

I would imagine that they use 60:40 for 'Creamflow' and 'Smooth' bitters, certainly not my idea of a decent bitter but if you like that sort of thing...