Filling Corney Kegs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
stephenfranks

Filling Corney Kegs

Post by stephenfranks » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:27 pm

I am in the process of building my brewery, and wondered how people actually fill their corney kegs? It might sound silly but do you purge corney by connecting co2 to "in" tap and jet/release pressure via blow off valve until you are sure there is no air in the corney, and then open lid and fill via tube pushed to the bottom of the keg to force the co2 up?

Or, do you purge, then fill via the "in" tap somehow from the fermenter (perhaps pressure is needed to open valve?) thus removing the need to open the lid?

I prefer the sound of the second option but not sure how its done..

shandypants5

Re: Filling Corney Kegs

Post by shandypants5 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:51 pm

connect your FV tap or syphon tube to the OUT connector once you have Co2 purged your cornie.

That way the beer is delivered to the bottom of the cornie and there is less splashing.

I leave the lid on but open the pressure release valve to let gas out as beer flows in.

Chris has put a more detailed explanation on here somewhere but I cant find it :?

stephenfranks

Post by stephenfranks » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks shady! That explains it.

Parva

Post by Parva » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:03 pm

I connect the CO2 up to the gas-in connector, give it a quick blast of CO2 (1 second will do), release via PRV, repeat, remove lid and simply make sure syphon tube goes right to the bottom and gently fill, you'll see the CO2 'fog' when you do this and this helps prevent oxidation. The other method works also of course, I just find this way easier.

N.B. Don't leave the gas on and fully pressurise the keg to purge it! That's a real waste of gas and absolutely not necessary. 1 second of gas, gas off, release pressure, repeat, remove lid, fill.

stephenfranks

Post by stephenfranks » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:48 am

Noted - thank you!