Fridges for cornies???

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
williams_tom

Fridges for cornies???

Post by williams_tom » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:25 pm

ok i got my first cornie, maybe i rushed into this cos im not sure what im going to chill it with, it is in my garage so not to hot, but not cold enough... shale i jsut put it in a bucket of water??? lol... im looking at fridges but im not sure what sizes to look out for on ebay, any ideas? "im still looking for gas so i guess that need to be sorted first?"...

what about a chiller? how do they work? when i poor the beer does it automaticly chill though the pipes? or is this an expensive sollution?

any help would be grately appreciated

Tom

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Fridges for cornies???

Post by Garth » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:40 pm

I have a couple of small underbench type fridges, one of them can take two cornies, the other only gets one in....so you have to be careful which one you get, the one that takes two I have changed the thermostat so it will now chill from 0 - 40C (depending on the ambient temp), rather than the 0-10C that most fridges can do.

why not get a small fridge then do what Jim did, (do a search) and extend it out with wood and insulation, you'll also need an ATC temp controller, but they are only £30 on eBay, and then you can serve beer from it at 8-13 or whatever you like your beer at or raise the temp to 18-20 and can ferment in it as well, for the winter a small tube heater and a cheapo fan may be needed if it gets too cold in the garage, but you needn't worry about that bit in this weather we are getting.....

lukesharpe

Post by lukesharpe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:59 pm

Have a look at this thread and you'll see my setup with costs. The beer is at room temperature and is chilled as it goes through the cooler. You can get a cheap second hand cooler of ebay for £60 odd.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24770

williams_tom

Post by williams_tom » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:08 pm

sounds a good setup, better than a fridge, but the price is out of my range... flebay has got a couple but at silly prices!

Parva

Post by Parva » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Keep looking for them, especially in categories where they shouldn't really be, people here have managed to get them for £10-£15 in the past, just gotta drop lucky. Or if you have contacts that know someone that runs a pub or a club it's also worth watching there.

lukesharpe

Post by lukesharpe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:35 pm

I've read that Norm sells them. Might be worth contacting him to see if he can get you one.