Flash cooler for IC

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jaz_Allen

Flash cooler for IC

Post by Jaz_Allen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:14 pm

I know a lot of people use line coolers for maintaining fermentation temperature, but is there any reason why you wouldn't be able to hook the python recirc to an immersion chiller to chill the wort in the boiler down to pitching temperature? Or even pump the hot wort through the beer line chiller and use it like a counterflow chiller?
I am just trying to make my wort cooling a bit more efficient as yesterdays brew used a lot of water through the IC.
It's probably a terrible idea, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

Parva

Re: Flash cooler for IC

Post by Parva » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Absolutely no chance I'm afraid. There's absolutely no way that a flash chiller could cope with that amount of boiling liquid.

Jaz_Allen

Post by Jaz_Allen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 am

Hmmm, that's what I thought, what about hooking up the immersion chiller to the cold tap as standard to drop the temperature down to about 50°C, and then switching the lines on the IC to the python recirc on a flash chiller, then you would still get a massive decrease in water used. That's if the flash chiller could handle the 50°C wort.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:21 am

The key to quick chilling is getting the wort moving around the IC. You need to keep stirring or use a recirc pump or something otherwise it will take a long time.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:36 am

Yep gently stirring helps a lot, but what about running the supply water through the product coils of the chiller, that way you're only chilling from ground temp not from the high temps of the water exiting the IC and not circulating hot water through the python. That would be similar to the guys that pre-chill the water by running it through a coil in a coolbox filled with ice water :wink:

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:55 am

I use a CFC but I often prechill the water towards the end - especially if the tap water is a tad warm.