Video-Bottling, Bottling Stick & Bench Capper

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
mysterio

Re: Video-Bottling, Bottling Stick & Bench Capper

Post by mysterio » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Sunlight... clear bottles... ! :shock:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:54 pm

It can happen very quickly in my experience, the other day I left a trial jar of homebrew on the windowsill on an overcast but bright day, 10 minutes later the sample was skunked to high heaven

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:07 pm

mysterio wrote:It can happen very quickly in my experience, the other day I left a trial jar of homebrew on the windowsill on an overcast but bright day, 10 minutes later the sample was skunked to high heaven
By that argument if I take 10 minutes to drink my pint in the garden on a sunny day I'll be drinking skunked beer! :wink:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:44 pm

I reckon you would Jim, you might not notice it from a pint glass but if you left a clear bottle out there for 10 - 15 minutes, popped it open and sniffed it from the bottle, I bet you would notice at least some skunky aroma. Actually, here's an episode of basic brewing video to illustrate what i'm talking about: http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... nking-beer
I can promise you they don't have the slightest hint of light strike, I had a pint on the window ledge while I was bottling and it was fine.
Alright, I'll allow it this time :lol:

tangoman
Piss Artist

Post by tangoman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:38 pm

Makes me want to take up bottling again, very nice.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:59 am

Pretty good stuff :)
and no mention of thyroids! ;)

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:18 pm

I can' stop thinking those two guys in that video must be the unluckiest in the world or i'm the luckiest i have downed a few beers in my 35yrs of drinking and a lot of it outdoors, all i have ever used is kits and i have always used clear bottles (newcasle brown)and i think i can honestly say i have never had anything that could be described as skunked and by that guys reaction i dont think you could say i may have had one and not known about it, is skunking real or is it something of an urban myth. :?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:35 pm

It's real alright, I had a bottle of Newkey Brown at the weekend and it was skunked. Try any beer in a green bottle, Pilsner Urquell, Becks, Kingfisher etc. They will almost certainly be light struck. The aroma/taste is not altogether unpleasant IMO, but it is very distinct. It could just be that you're used to it.

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks for that mysterio but i just dont get it,as i say over the years i've downed gallons of the stuff in all kinds of bottles,glasses, on holiday,bbq's etc,like most i've had a few snide pints at the local but non i can recall sitting outside and nothing as foul tasting as described by statler and waldorf and i dread the thought i may have just got used to it :-& maybe i have just been lucky.

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Nice vid Chris. I would love to get me one of those bench cappers but just don't have the room. One other thing, what was the music playing over the vid?

Cheers

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 pm

mysterio wrote:It's real alright, I had a bottle of Newkey Brown at the weekend and it was skunked. Try any beer in a green bottle, Pilsner Urquell, Becks, Kingfisher etc. They will almost certainly be light struck. The aroma/taste is not altogether unpleasant IMO, but it is very distinct. It could just be that you're used to it.
I only noticed in when I left a trial jar on the worktop and forgot about it for a couple of hours, it was really sunny as well. When I tasted it I was instantly reminded of the beer we drink when we go camping. Usually crates of lagers are bought by people and they are all in green bottles. I just assumed this was how these beers tasted until I tasted my trial jar. The funny thing is when these beers aren't light struck they taste of nothing, I would suggest light strike improves certain beers! It is not entirely unpleasant but I would be annoyed if I got it from one of my beers, it seems to mask any hop flavours.

Glad to hear the music is back Chris, the series isn't the same without it.

Digby Swift

Post by Digby Swift » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 pm

Chris-x1 wrote:It's certainly a charachteristic of some lagers and probably wouldn't be viewed as a flaw (in those particular lagers) if it hadn't been catagorised as one, much like so many people seem to think diacetyl is a flaw when its actually a pleasant charachteristic of some ales.
Exactly. You couldn't make London Pride without it.

subsub

Post by subsub » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:18 pm

Nice vid Chris. You're capper is similar to mine, except that mine is circa 1920 and rusty :D

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm starting to get paranoid now about drinking my pint quickly if it's sunny in the pub garden (does sometimes happen down south). I have been known to make a pint last, oooh, maybe half an hour and I can't say I've noticed any skunks around. Loss of condition, warm, maybe a bit oxidised, but skunked... no.

Could it be that the damage can be done in a few minutes but it takes a while for the skunked taste to develop maybe? Like more than half an hour? Or is real ale less susceptible?

Just wondering.

simple one
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by simple one » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:29 am

Dr. Dextrin wrote:I'm starting to get paranoid now about drinking my pint quickly if it's sunny in the pub garden (does sometimes happen down south). I have been known to make a pint last, oooh, maybe half an hour and I can't say I've noticed any skunks around.
Surely if your drinking beer down sarf the little cocktail brolley supplied with your beer will protect it from the sun? :lol:

(edit: I am a northerner forced to migrate for financial reasons!)