INSTANT HOP STRAINER

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

INSTANT HOP STRAINER

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:49 am

I have tried all the usual methods of straining hops (and grains). I had 10 mins on my hands and thought I would give this a go...........Yes it's a pan scrub!! It is the "delux" 49p version. I could have had 3 smaller ones for 60p. All stainless steelof course.
I have loaded some photos just for interest. The seive shows that only a few tiny specks got through (this was as the tap opened, I did not recirculate anything)
DSC00063.JPG
This is it in the boiler with the outlet inserted
DSC00063.JPG (72.46 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
DSC00067.JPG
Showing how little got through
DSC00067.JPG (165.82 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
DSC00072.JPG
Thought you may as well have a peep in the mash tun too!
DSC00072.JPG (55.25 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
Last edited by trucker5774 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Dr. Dextrin

Re: INSTANT HOP STRAINER

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:56 am

Very neat!

Did you use anything to hold the pan scrub in place?

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:51 pm

My exit pipe from the boiler is quite close to the bottom, leaving less than 10mm. As the pan scrub is wound like a ball of wool with a hollow centre, I was able to just slot it on and it stays in place as the pipe is angled slightly down. Even in a 90 minute boil it didnt move. It rinsed clean quite easily and allowed the wort to flow quickly. It may not be the answer for everybody, but it was something which caught my eye as worth trying. It works very well.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:59 pm

I had some more photos to show...............the system will only allow my to upload 3 attachments.......how are other people doing it?
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:19 pm

Nice :)

if you want somewhere else to host your pictures get a www.flickr.com account, after you upload your photos you can click on a button that says 'All Sizes', click medium and copy the link at the bottom of the page :)

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:32 pm

Blimey, I thought my vivarium mesh sheet hop strainer was simple (now just rolled and stuffed into the back of the boiler tap), but that's even simpler and cheaper so I like it, though I'd have to add some copper or hard plastic tubing to the back of my tap to stuff the scrub onto.

Someone should start an "econo-AG" thread - ideas on how to build a reliable AG setup with minimum outlay.
Last edited by vacant on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks pdtnc. I noticed you had done it previously :wink:

And for my next experiment.........mmmmmmmmm........I wonder if I can find a use for my old guitar strings :?:
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:38 pm

vacant wrote:Blimey, I thought my vivarium mesh sheet hop strainer was simple (now just rolled and stuffed into the back of the boiler tap), but that's even simpler and cheaper so I like it, though I'd have to add some copper or hard plastic tubing to the back of my tap to stuff the scrub onto.

Someone should start an "econo-AG" thread - ideas on how to build a reliable AG setup with minimum outlay.
That's actually a good idea (and a great name for it). After all we are here to help each other. I reckon my full set up is as cheap as it gets..........it does help if you have some skills to make the kit and materials available :mrgreen:
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

DC
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by DC » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi Trucker5574, What did you use for your false bottom in your mashtun(the pink thing)? It looks like a lid off a lunch box!

Cheers DC
FV No 1: Nowt
FV No 2: Nowt
FV No 3: Nowt
FV No 4: Nowt
Pressure Barrel No 1: Nowt
Conditioning: Nowt
Drinking: Nowt
Planning:
Yeast Bank: SafAle S04, Youngs Cider Yeast.

Graham

Post by Graham » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:36 pm

It is an idea that some people used in the 1990s, or even earlier. I pinched the idea and played with it in the 1990s, mostly for my books (My copper has a false bottom so I don't need one), and it worked perfectly. In its simplest form it was just stuffed into the (bottom) take-off pipe of my boiler. My main concern was the lack of security - the thing falling out of (or off of) the outlet pipe. I was looking for methods of containment. I came up with several methods, all of which worked well, but all required minor handyman skills, which I try to avoid in my books where possible. However, it became superseded by the slotted copper matrix that is commonly used today, so my experimental strainers never saw light of day in print. It does work well though.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:24 pm

DC wrote:Hi Trucker5574, What did you use for your false bottom in your mashtun(the pink thing)? It looks like a lid off a lunch box!

Cheers DC
It's a plastic pic-nic plate...........pack of 6 from ASDA for about £2 if I remember.Just happened to be what fitted in the bottom. It's drilled with 2mm holes and held down by the elbow on the pipe, which has a very slight downwards pressure due to the bend. The end of the pipe is castellated so as not to create a suction on the bottom of the mash tun.
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:28 pm

Chris-x1 wrote:They can be difficult to pick the hop petals out of sometimes.
That's a fair point, Chris, although there was very little stuck in/to it. It was very much a bit of a fun experiment and never intended as a long term solution. I use 2 mesh strainers normally. Its a very quick start for someone who wants to get a brew on but hasn't found the time to build their final creation...................and it does work very well :D
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Trucker that's ace! Goes to show that the simplest ideas are often the best. I'm off down to't Morrison's right now...

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:49 pm

Those pan scrubbers do a good job of cleaning elements also :=P

Good job T :wink:

bramswell

Post by bramswell » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:29 pm