Thermometer

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Swiller

Thermometer

Post by Swiller » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:45 am

Just a word of warning guys.
I had an old thermometer hanging on the wall of my garage/brewery it has been there since we moved into the property and it's one of those 'U' shaped ones that records the highest and lowest temperatures as well as the current temperature I am sure you know the ones.
Well, I was moving some bits and pieces around and accidentally hit it where upon it smashes on the concrete floor, the smell from it's contents nearly suffocated me (no joke) even my neighbour two doors away could smell it! I found every scrap of the remains and have cleaned everything I have had the garage doors open since it happened on Thursday and it still smells of this weird chemical not quite as strong but it is still there it seems like it's going to take quite a few days to go and I just hope it does. I have never taken much notice of it but thinking back it's indicator was silver with a blue liquid which kept the record so more than likely mercury of which I understand is no longer used.
Be careful with this type of thermometer if you have one where ever it is even outside it's caused me so much grief over the last few days.

StevieB

Re: Thermometer

Post by StevieB » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi Swiller,

Elemental mercury can be quite dangerous especially if vapourised... No doubt you've read the Health Protection Agency's advice on domestic spillages, but here's a handy link to the HPA's step-by-step guide for anyone else with the same problem: http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAweb ... 5733821650

And remember that if you spill more mercury than a thermometer-full you need to contact Environmental Health.

Steve

Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:42 pm

Crumbs...!

I remember in the 80s at school we used to nich the stuff from the science labs and play "dodgems" with the liquid mercury balls on our desks!

That explains my below average results...

...and two heads

StevieB

Post by StevieB » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:33 am

Heltor Chasca wrote:Crumbs...!

I remember in the 80s at school we used to nich the stuff from the science labs and play "dodgems" with the liquid mercury balls on our desks!

That explains my below average results...

...and two heads
I remember demonstrating why it was called Quicksilver by demonstrating how my skin absorbed the stuff... on several occasions...

I can't brane today, I haz teh dumb ;)

lukesharpe

Post by lukesharpe » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:49 am

StevieB wrote:
I can't brane today, I haz teh dumb ;)
:lol:

Swiller

Post by Swiller » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks for the information Steve I knew it was nasty stuff!!

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:38 am

Only thing is... as far as I remember mercury doesn't smell of anything.

It could have been toluene - that definitely smells, but wouldn't have been silver.

StevieB

Post by StevieB » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:59 pm

Dr. Dextrin wrote:Only thing is... as far as I remember mercury doesn't smell of anything.

It could have been toluene - that definitely smells, but wouldn't have been silver.
Mercury is odourless and I agree that the alcohol element of the thermometer could have caused a smell, but it's is such a small quantity it is unlikely to have been detected by Swiller's neighbour!

I'm at a loss to explain the odour but my primary concern was the mercury!

Swiller

Post by Swiller » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:52 pm

It was certainly a strong smell as I can just make it out now, it could have been the blue indicator that rides on the top of the mercury or a reaction of the two. Put it this way I will not be replacing it!!!

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:57 pm

My Uncle showed me a nice trick when I was 12ish with Mercury and battery acid. lol.

Not sure if I should share the fun......boom

StevieB

Post by StevieB » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:44 am

GARYSMIFF wrote:My Uncle showed me a nice trick when I was 12ish with Mercury and battery acid. lol.

Not sure if I should share the fun......boom
Hg+H2SO4... I must be missing something but I can't see a violent reaction here.

StevieB

Post by StevieB » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 am

Ah... An aqueous solution of sulphuric acid...

Hg+H2SO4+H2O or
Hg2+H2SO4+H2O

My chemistry knowledge is pretty basic but it seems to me that this reaction could result in a release of free hydrogen... Add a source of ignition in the atmosphere and.. BOOM! :)

[Edit] Actually the water is a red herring... If the mercury were to displace the hydrogen in the sulphuric acid to make mercury sulphate or sulphite, it wouldn't affect the aqueous chemistry but would still release hydrogen.

Do we have a scientist in the house to give a definitive answer?

Do I have a life?

Should I stay on topic?

Should I go to bed now? (01:22)