CO2 for Rotokeg???

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
trueheart

CO2 for Rotokeg???

Post by trueheart » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:47 pm

Hi all

been given a rotokeg from a mates dad, I think it is of some age. I need to find out what sort of CO2 to use to pressurise the keg. The lid is approx 4-5 inches across and has three metal fixtures to the lid. On is what looks to be a pressure let off valve, the centre one I pesume is for the CO2 cylinder (not sure what type). It does not appear to have a needle to pierce the small bulbs. The last is a brass thingy, not sure what it does. Any help with this so I can make good use of it would be most helpful.

Phill :?: :?: :?:

lukesharpe

Re: CO2 for Rotokeg???

Post by lukesharpe » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:02 am

Without seeing the keg, it's probably an S30 CO2 connection.

So for use with either:

Sparklet CO2 (with adaptor).
The Hambleton Bard S30 CO2 Cylinders.
Widget World systems.

If you can post a pic that would help.

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:31 am

trueheart wrote:
I need to find out what sort of CO2 to use to pressurise the keg.
You will need the Hambleton Bard Super S30 gas cylinder which contains 240 grams of CO2 which fit the brass valve that you have described. These are available from good Home Brew shops at around £19 each and then £5-6 for an exchange refill. Royal Mail don't allow them in the post for obvious reasons although some online shops may provide a courier service. It will, however, be best if you can source a supplier local to where you live.

trueheart

Post by trueheart » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:01 am

Cheers Lads

I have a local brew shop that has the Hambleton Bard cylinders but they look awfully similar to a Sodastream bottle. Can I use one of these as they are a lump cheaper than the hambleton bard cylinders?

Also if any body could please spare the time to give me step by step method of using the keg as it did not have instuctions wit it I would be most grateful. Also do they need a seal around the neck of the keg or does the lid seal itself enough? Could I get away with the CO2 produced naturally with the priming sugars, would it be enough to push the beer out on its own, the keg has a top tap and a float inside?

Cheers
Phill

Matt24

Post by Matt24 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:48 pm

trueheart wrote:Cheers Lads

I have a local brew shop that has the Hambleton Bard cylinders but they look awfully similar to a Sodastream bottle. Can I use one of these as they are a lump cheaper than the hambleton bard cylinders?

Also if any body could please spare the time to give me step by step method of using the keg as it did not have instuctions wit it I would be most grateful. Also do they need a seal around the neck of the keg or does the lid seal itself enough? Could I get away with the CO2 produced naturally with the priming sugars, would it be enough to push the beer out on its own, the keg has a top tap and a float inside?

Cheers
Phill
There should be a rubber seal (ring) that fits into the lid. If this is missing then the barrel wont hold any pressure. Your local home brew shop should have these if it is missing, and many wont charge you for spares like that (well, mine does'nt anyway). If the seal is present in the lid, check that it has'nt perrished, you will need to replace it if it has otherwise it may not work properly.

Also the rubber ring will need to be lubricated before use, so just cover it with a layer of vaseline before you screw the lid on to the full barrel.

If it is a top-tap type then you will need to introduce CO2 artificially using a cyclinder. The natural pressure wont last long enough to keep forcing the beer through the float when it drops below the tap level after you've drawn off enough pints.