Stainless Steel Hole Cutting

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
CJBrew

Re: Stainless Steel Hole Cutting

Post by CJBrew » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:42 pm

Post by Aleman on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:46 pm
Large hole saw for the outside . . . then a use a qmax punch for the inner hole
When you say "Large hole saw for the outside" -- just how large?

If you make a massive hole on the outside in order to get the element (or whatever) through the inside skin, how do you seal up the outer hole? I assume the idea is the outer nut screws onto the outside skin of the vessel? Isn't that risking a leak into the space between the skins?

Please could someone post pictures? I am thinking of getting a thermo box container but the prospect of butchering it shortly after purchase (and f**king it up in the process) worries me

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 am

You seal against the inner skin . . . which is why you want the neatest hole there. as to how large the outer hole needs to be it depends on what you are fitting up . . . I'm looking at 25mm holes on the outer skin for my Ball Valves . . . and anything else 3/8BSPP related (I'm using a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer from the 1/2" Ball Valve to the 3/8" Nipple

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:37 am

You seal against the inner skin . . . which is why you want the neatest hole there. as to how large the outer hole needs to be it depends on what you are fitting up . . . I'm looking at 25mm holes on the outer skin for my Ball Valves . . . and anything else 3/8BSPP related (I'm using a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer from the 1/2" Ball Valve to the 3/8" Nipple
So there's just an open hole (albeit mostly filled with a valve or something?), no nut sealing over the outer skin?
How does that affect the thermal performance of the vessel? (my guess is not a lot :)

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:55 pm

I use an appropriately sized Penny Washer to cover the hole. . . . If the void was considerable I would fill it with some insulation . . .. Probably use some of the spare armaflex from my collection.