New expensive toy

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
edit1now
Under the Table

New expensive toy

Post by edit1now » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Just got my new bottling hydrometer from Stevenson Reeves (lower one in the picture), after breaking the old one and nearly going :cry: :

The scale is from 1010 to 1000 over about 4 cm! That's the good news. The bad news is that a normal hydrometer is about £3, and a custom one from Stevenson Reeves is £20 plus a huge £13.50 carriage, plus VAT, so £38.53 :oops:

It does fit down the Azlon 100ml plastic measuring cylinder which I use as a trial jar - you need to mention that otherwise it might come with a bigger bulb.

I dealt with a nice man called Peter Quill, after originally speaking to Renton Mein, the MD, who took my order then apparently lost it. Stevenson Reeves could make a load of these bottling hydrometers, which would be much cheaper, if some HBS would order a few hundred...

Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: New expensive toy

Post by Bobba » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Wow that's amazing! I bet that's a great help in taking a reading....the standard ones are always a bit of guess-timation. Now that I think about it, it's pretty silly the beer ones are the same as wine ones.
Not sure i'd want to pay 40squid for one tho, i'd break it!
You're right, need to get a shop to order a load

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold