supplying power to twin elements

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Carpking

supplying power to twin elements

Post by Carpking » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi. I liked this post and decided to make one. Very nice Floyd. F.A.B. 8)
So i have ordered the 'tub', i have everything for a hop strainer, tap and hopefully i will take delivery tomorrow of the tub.
My question; Can i wire my elements into a box with two switches so i can run none, one or both elements and just run that to the wall plug with ONE lead. OR, will that blow up my fuse box? Should i just run two leads to two seperate plugs as its 13 amp?
The reason for asking is i would like to make the outside of the elements silicone sealed and therefore waterproof, hence the seperate switches away trom the boiler. Also my garage has two plugs, one of which runs my fridge freezer.
If its too much load for one plug i will just seal them somehow and run two leads.
What has everyone else done with their twin element boilers?
Thanks guys.
:D

mikew
Steady Drinker

Re: supplying power to twin elements

Post by mikew » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Carpking,

The answer to your question depends upon the size of the elements and the supply voltage that you use.

For a standard 2.2KW Kettle element; if you divide the wattage of the element by the voltage you get the current that the element will require, so for the 2.2KW (or 2.2 * 1000) 2200 Watts divided by 230V (in the UK) you get a current of about 9.6 Amps, So if you connected 2 of these together they would require 19 ish amps, which is obviously more than the fuse is rated at in a standard 13 Amp plug, but if you only used 1KW Elements then you would be able to get away with it.

My recomendation would be to run two seperate leads, to a seperate plugs.

Another point that you need to be aware of, is the actual supply to your garage, sometimes garages are wired from a fused spur on one of the main rings in the house, in which case this will have a 13 Amp fuse in and will cause the same problem.

I hope this has been of some help, If you require any further advice just ask.

Carpking

Post by Carpking » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Thanks Mike.

So this has got me thinking. I have TWO asda kettle elements. But would ONE be enough for my 23l/25l brewlengths in a 30l/35l boiler and i will keep one in reserve. The second was only to get to the boil quicker anyway. Does anyone operate that size brewlength with one asde/tesco element without problems?

Cheers.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:54 pm

Carpking wrote:Thanks Mike.

So this has got me thinking. I have TWO asda kettle elements. But would ONE be enough for my 23l/25l brewlengths in a 30l/35l boiler and i will keep one in reserve. The second was only to get to the boil quicker anyway. Does anyone operate that size brewlength with one asde/tesco element without problems?

Cheers.
I use a boiler built in the same way. I have 2 element and a capacity of 33L. I use 2 leads for the reasons mike has calculated. I run them from the same double wall socket but I know it is on a ring main and not a spur (I built the house!). I use both elements to get things going. One is enough once the boil has started. It will just take a little longer if you use only one from the start. It is good to have a spare in the boiler though. I tend to alternate which one I use to extend their life. The set up is fine for a 5 gallon brew.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

Carpking

Post by Carpking » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:26 pm

I am moving into a newbuild and the garage is intergral so i guess the socket will be 'ring' not 'spur'.

Jymbo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jymbo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:15 pm

Carpking wrote:But would ONE be enough for my 23l/25l brewlengths in a 30l/35l boiler
I have used a single kettle element in the past but upgrading to two can knock a good half hour off a brewday. Definitely worth the effort IMO.
Kegged: 'Nowt
Bottled: Summer Lightning, Belfast Ale, JPA, Guinness Foreign Export
http://www.hopandgrain.com