what type of keg do i have?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
tractor

what type of keg do i have?

Post by tractor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:53 pm

hi all i've aquired a keg all leagally before anyone gets worried, but i don't know how to open it up? my sankey coupler fits it but it doesn't have the cir clip that my other sankey kegs have, instead there is just two lumps, it looks like the centre just simply unscrews out so i've tried whacking it with a hammer and screwdriver to try and get it to turn but it wont budge.

so does anyone know

1) what type of fitting it's called
2) how to open it?

tractor

Re: what type of keg do i have?

Post by tractor » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:38 pm

tractor wrote:hi all i've aquired a keg all leagally before anyone gets worried, but i don't know how to open it up? my sankey coupler fits it but it doesn't have the cir clip that my other sankey kegs have, instead there is just two lumps, it looks like the centre just simply unscrews out so i've tried whacking it with a hammer and screwdriver to try and get it to turn but it wont budge.

so does anyone know

1) what type of fitting it's called
2) how to open it?
heres a photo, probably a bit more use than my description

thanks
CIMG2211.jpg
CIMG2211.jpg (64.77 KiB) Viewed 975 times

kevron

Post by kevron » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:30 pm

hi tractor,

looks like a sankey fitting which screws out, not to bad to get out but you need a keg spanner like the one below because if you hit it with a hammer and screwdriver you will break off the two little lugs on the valve

when you do loosen it off there is a safety catch on the keg valve which prevents you from pulling the valve out, all is not lost there is a way of doing it click on the link below which shows you how

keg valve

have fun :=P

tractor

Post by tractor » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:45 pm

Thanks Kevron thats a quality description, really useful i'm sure i'm not the only one wondering how to get these open.

obviouse question tho where can i get one of those spanners from? i've had a quick look on ebay but theres nothing, i suspect they're only available to the trade so i'll probably end up fabricating somthing

Thanks again Kevron

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:40 pm

It's a Basin Wrench but don't leave it out in the rain :lol:

kevron

Post by kevron » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Scooby wrote:It's a Basin Wrench but don't leave it out in the rain :lol:
Hi scooby,

I never knew it was a basin wrench #-o you learn something new everyday, I got it with a keg that I was given so I took it to be a keg spanner :roll: , seeing as there so cheap I'll go buy another one from screwfix as a spare :wink:

tractor

Post by tractor » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:40 pm

brilliant!!

Got one on order

Thanks for all your help

Tractor

fester1979

Post by fester1979 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:59 pm

i highly recomend depressurising the keg befor any attempt is made at removing the spear

tractor

Post by tractor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:46 am

ha ha you sound like you're talking from experience, either that or you think i'm really stupid :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3DWatching

I got me self a spanner £4 delieverd to your door aint bad, bearing in mind the nearest screwfix to me is proberly an hour round trip

Thanks again

tractor

Post by tractor » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:46 pm

i've just realised the rubber is leaking air :( not the ball valve but the rubber just outside it

I'm hoping you can get replacement rubbers because i think cornies sometimes use sankey fittings, but does anyone know where? or would it be easier to fit a whole new spear?

As a final thought do you think i's a normal 'o' ring or is it a specific rubber washer made for the keg?

And ideas guys?