Kegerator problem!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Donnydarko

Kegerator problem!

Post by Donnydarko » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Just today i converted the fridge of a unright fridge freezer into a Kegerator. I drilled a hole 1/2mm bigger than pipe in the side of the fridge to bring in my CO2 line and when i plugged it back and turned it on air rushed out of the hole for a few seconds then stopped (this happens every time if i leave it for a few mins) and the fridge/freezer is no longer getting cold. Does anyone know the problem, i was thinking i had lost the gas from the compressor or something.

Frisfur

Re: Kegerator problem!

Post by Frisfur » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:43 pm

Sounds like you drilled through one of the refrigerant pipes :oops:

You may also smell an oily smell when you turn on the fridge

End of kegerator i'm afraid

Donnydarko

Post by Donnydarko » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:58 pm

Suspicions correct, on closer inspection of the hole i have drilled a little chunk out of a aluminium pipe :oops: . Bugger. Looks like this has just become a fermenting fridge for the winter months with a heater in it......
Anyone know where the safe places to drill through into fridges are? i just got given a undercounter fridge to try and convert!

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:36 pm

I have heard the best/safest way is to use a a screw driver or similar to find you way through once you have punched a hole through either side.
Less chance to make a hole in a pipe
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer