fermenting temperatures

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
swheatbeer

fermenting temperatures

Post by swheatbeer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:24 am

I have a couple of questions about controling and dealing with high fermentation temperatures.

1. I live in a flat that never goes below 25oC. I want to try lager but dont have space for a fridge or bulky equipment. Does anyone know of a cheap way of bringing the temp of a 25l bin down to lager temps.

2. Also anyone got any tips on ale brewing in high temps. The extra few degrees C makes my beer taste a little boozy and hides the hop and malt flavours, even when the alc content is under 4%

Cheers

mysterio

Re: fermenting temperatures

Post by mysterio » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:33 am

Get a clean bin, or use your bath if you have one, fill it up with cold water and use ice packs, monitor the temps and replace ice packs/iced water bottles as needed. Lager will be difficult and probably require some attention. Proper ale temps should be easy though.

swheatbeer

Post by swheatbeer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:37 am

I do have to problems with cold water and ice. First my flat is about the size of a double garage, I dont have much spare space or a large enough freezer to put loads of ice packs in, secondly the water from the mains in a flat inb london is at best luke warm.

Basically my flat is not the best place to brew but I keep trying

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:05 am

You could try wrapping wet towels around the FV and aim a fan at it, you won't get down to lager temps but you should be able to drop it a few degrees for ales

HantsGaz

Post by HantsGaz » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:41 pm

There's also a good idea here too. Less bulky, but does reqiure the use of extra equipment (flash cooler and temperature controller). Might be overkill, but you won't have to get in any particulalry bulky equipment.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:59 pm

Stand the FV in a bowl of water, pull an old Tee shirt over the FV, the airlock can stick out the neck hole, pull the waist down into the water so it wicks and as M said with the addition of a fan to aid evaporation you'll lower the temp quite a bit.