Beer engine.... so I got this and...

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
rick_huggins

Beer engine.... so I got this and...

Post by rick_huggins » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:52 pm

I was given these today by a mate and want to know how I put them into action with a cornie if possible?

How are they connected, do I need other parts, should I service it and any other useful info; any help most appreciated as usual.

This is about a meter long..

rick_huggins

Re: Beer engine.... so I got this and...

Post by rick_huggins » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:33 pm

Must be someone out there?

rick_huggins

Post by rick_huggins » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:33 pm

Hellooooooo,

Calling all beer engine guru's out there.... what do I need to get this up and running? :mrgreen:

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:56 pm

OK, I'm not an expert, and I just bottle mine, but here is what I can remember you need, from reading JBK:

An adaptor to go from the beer engine's inlet to 3/8"" or 3/16" beer line, depending whether you need to restrict the flow to control frothing - the smaller tubing provides greater resistance to the fluid passing. (This may only apply to ordinary keg-style taps).

Some beer line of the right size see above.

A demand valve (a.k.a. check valve) - this stops the pressure from the cornie making the beer engine p@ss beer all the time.

More beer line between the demand valve and the cornie Out post.

A cornie Out post.

A cornie with beer in it.

A cornie In post.

Some gas line (most people use beer line at home).

An adaptor to go from beer line to your regulator.

A gas regulator - ideally a two-stage one with two dials so you can see the bottle pressure and the downstream pressure.

A CO2 bottle.

A chain and hooks or other method of securing the gas bottle to the wall(!). Avoid death by spending £3!

I think that for English-style ale delivery you keep quite a low pressure on the beer once it's been carbonated, maybe only 0.5 PSI, so that you pull the beer through and the gas pressure is just enough to blanket the beer on the cornie with CO2. There may be a special valve you can get to help with this blanketing thing.

There have been several threads about restoring beer engines in the Brewing Equipment section - have you tried the Search button?

Some actual expert might be able to identify your beer engine and suggest where you can get spares.

If the thing in your hand in the lower picture is about a metre long, then it's a special kind of cask tap for using with the cask on end rather than lying down.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Edit1now has the general idea. The demand valve in my case is a "cask breather" which keeps 1 atm of CO2 on the keg, this way I can keep it for weeks. I don't use a check valve. Please do a search as this topic has been done many times over, sometimes with pictures.

cheers and lucky you.
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

CarpHunter

Post by CarpHunter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 pm

Or if you are feeling lazy give Paul at Barley bottom a bell not only will he put you right on what you need he will no doubt be able to supply it

rick_huggins

Post by rick_huggins » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:58 pm

Yep, done that this morning and am about to place an order! :)