Totton pumps revisited..

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
rick_huggins

Totton pumps revisited..

Post by rick_huggins » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:30 am

I recently bought a pump to send water from CLT - HLT and to use for mash recirc but have just had a sobering thought..

The pump is rated to 85F/30C therefore recirculating the wort would be out of this threshold..

I've see other guys (Scooby, Daab/Chris) using them for this... can someone let me knokw if it'll be ok or am I missing a trick?

Scooby

Re: Totton pumps revisited..

Post by Scooby » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:08 am

rick_huggins wrote:I recently bought a pump to send water from CLT - HLT and to use for mash recirc but have just had a sobering thought..

The pump is rated to 85F/30C therefore recirculating the wort would be out of this threshold..

I've see other guys (Scooby, Daab/Chris) using them for this... can someone let me knokw if it'll be ok or am I missing a trick?
If it's a GP20/12 then the max is 85c. Where does it state 85f/30c?

Norm did advertise it once as being 85f but was a mistake

rick_huggins

Post by rick_huggins » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:13 am

Hi Scooby, yep it was stated on the mail from Norm; if it's 85C then all is well! :mrgreen:

Thanks

Rick

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:56 am

as we are revisiting - i'm getting acquainted with my new GP20/12, and found that at 85c the pump ceased tight. i upped the temp for general equipment cleaning/flush through. any ideas as to why it would do this? my only thought is that perhaps the pump assembly was screwed together too tight.

FM

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:31 am

I would have thought there was some tolerance on the 85c temp but have never gone over 80c with mine and no probs, not even a change in speed or noise. I wouldn't have thought temp was the cause

Others will give you an idea of how to dismantle the pump and maybe you will find the reason. Norm will more than likely be accommodating if you contact him good luck :wink:

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:59 am

Thanks guys - i've has the pump dismentled, and also found the back diffuser troublesome to remove, but with careful easing using a screwdriver as a lever it let go fairly quickly. having reassembled i'll give it another test run.

regards

FM

rick_huggins

Re: Totton Pumps GP20/12 Data

Post by rick_huggins » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Chris-x1 wrote:Totton Pumps GP20/12 Data Sheet (page 2)
Nice one Chris, ta

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:38 pm

Chris-x1 wrote: When you put the put the cover plate back on, be careful to tighten the bolts diametrically in stages. They don't need to be overly tightend, firmly finger tip tight with a screw driver is sufficient (if that makes sense).

following the above advice from chris, happy to report all is well running at 85c. :D thanks for that, chris.

after months of up-grading the brewery, I think the time has finally arrived to conduct the inaugural brew.

FM

rick_huggins

Post by rick_huggins » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:17 pm

I sold my M/T & HLT to a mate and have just spent the best part of a day on the phone to him talking him through his first brew day which he has just put the lid on the FV... Phew.

Just waiting on my new M/T to arrive and will get fired in about my 10th AG which will be White Shiled and done from a cultured starter... Can't come quick enough tho...

Happy brewing all..

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Looks like good results all round today :wink:

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Happy days, indeed. 8)