Element Connector

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
NickP

Element Connector

Post by NickP » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi

I have bought 2 backer kettle elements some time ago, i have come to fit them to my boiler today, and have found they are not standard kettle lead fittings :( . They have two round pins either side of a flat pin.

Does any one know what type of connectors these are.

Parva

Re: Element Connector

Post by Parva » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:33 pm

That's the old type kettle element. I guess the plug is round as opposed to rectangular (almost)? This has come up before and someone did post a link to somwhere that sold these, a forum search should find it.

Ah, here you go :- viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22802&hilit=old+element+lead

NickP

Post by NickP » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks for the info, i have looked all over the net for this and it seems they are quite hard to comeby, should have checked before buying #-o does anyone have a sugestion for another type of element, i dont want to get stuck in the future trying to find replacements.

Parva

Post by Parva » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:46 pm

The Asda / Tesco / Argos value cordless kettles (under £5) are the elements of choice of many but you will still have to buy the cables though these are easier to come by (don't use computer cables).

Horden Hillbilly

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:53 pm

I believe that Backer will supply the leads for those elements, but iirc they were somewhat on the pricy side.

NickP

Post by NickP » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Good news i have found someone selling them for £1.50 plus PP so i have ordered myself a couple, lets hope they turn up [-o< I have posted a link to the item on ebay for anyone who is interested....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BACKER-PACK-22-RO ... 286.c0.m14

Waffty
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Waffty » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:00 am

NickP wrote:Good news i have found someone selling them for £1.50 plus PP so i have ordered myself a couple, lets hope they turn up [-o< I have posted a link to the item on ebay for anyone who is interested....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BACKER-PACK-22-RO ... 286.c0.m14
Good find =D>

I'm a fan of the Backer elements but the leads are a little off putting i.e the element company charge £13 for their leads, so at £1.50, that's a hell of a saving. I bought a couple off here, so now have four elements and four leads, so may just get a couple of spares =P~
Fermenting - Nothing
Conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Tea
Planning - Everything, if only I had the time ... !!

NickP

Post by NickP » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:52 pm

Good news the connectors have arrived and I have now attached plugs and my HLT is now almost ready to use, all i need now is a method of regulating the temperature. I have seen many posts about electronic devices for this purpose but im not sure which is the best for this purpose :?:

Once again any sugestions about the best way to regulate the tempurature in my new HLT would be greatfully received !

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:07 pm

when heating the strike water for the mash simply heat it to 80C or so (check it with a thermometer) then turn the elements off

about 20 mins from the end of the mash, check the temp again and if need be, turn the elements on to get back up to 80ish,

you don't need expensive thermostats when you have a finger that can easily operate a switch :D

GARYSMIFF

Post by GARYSMIFF » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:10 pm

I use a PID but only for my Mash, a thermometer is a great tool. just remember to stir. :D

NickP

Post by NickP » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks for the responses, Gary that is a fantastic setup you should do brewery tours =D> but i am just a newbie in the world of plumbing and all things pratical, so i think i will go for Garths low tech approach even I can read a thermometer :lol:

Gives me plenty of ideas, now all i have to do is distract the wife long enough........ :lol:

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Get the wife involved, so she can take over if you need to answer the phone or get sent sent to the supermarket. Brew something she likes?

NickP

Post by NickP » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:44 pm

A very good idea but my wife doesn't drink and cant stand the smell, with a bit of luck i will be relegated to the garage soon and then I can turn it into a small well stocked drinking hole :lol: