Tube Heaters where to buy?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DC
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Tube Heaters where to buy?

Post by DC » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:23 am

Hi all, I am in the process of making a fermenting fridge :shock: got the fridge, just ordered a TC10 :D and now I am looking to buy a 12" Tube Heater to use as the heat source for the fermenting fridge. Can anyone reccomend anywhere to buy one from :?: Had a look on Fleabay but dont really want to buy 2nd hand and some of the brand new ones are expensive :shock: Just wondered where you guys have bought yours from :?:

Cheers DC :wink:
FV No 1: Nowt
FV No 2: Nowt
FV No 3: Nowt
FV No 4: Nowt
Pressure Barrel No 1: Nowt
Conditioning: Nowt
Drinking: Nowt
Planning:
Yeast Bank: SafAle S04, Youngs Cider Yeast.

Scooby

Re: Tube Heaters where to buy?

Post by Scooby » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:51 am

Not bought one but did a quick search and came up with This, seems reasonable but p&p at £5.99 puts price up, no doubt someone will come back with something cheaper :)

tangoman
Piss Artist

Post by tangoman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 pm

Light bulb,I use one, you'll be suprised how quick one can warm a fridge up,give it a try.

RabMaxwell

Post by RabMaxwell » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:14 pm

I am another Light bulb heater man too :D

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Post by StrangeBrew » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:26 pm

I got mine from TLC

Saved on postage as there's a TLC near where I work.

DC

Post by DC » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi all, After seeing a few folks replies regarding using a light bulb as a heat source inside a fermenting fridge I am now toying with the idea of trying this to see how it works :!: Could one of you light bulb heater chaps kindly post a pic of how your light bulbs are setup inside your fermenting fridges if thats not too much trouble :?: Just not sure where to place the bulb :?: :oops: underside of the top of the fridge :?: , the side :?: etc

Oops I nearly forgot, what watt bulb is the norm for a fermenting fridge :?:

Planning:

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:33 pm

Don't have a pic but I did use a light bulb in a cupboard controlled by a central heating type wall thermostat. But that was big enough to nick one from the bedside and just take the shade off and stand it in there :lol:

Heat sources are best from the bottom of the space to be heated, in a small area I doubt the wattage is important, the higher it is the quicker it will come up to temp. 40-60w would be fine in a small fridge. I have a 25w green house heater in my normal size under counter larder fridge, it has 2 cornies in it and easily held 13c in cold spell last winter, it was around 0c or less in the garage at times.

The heater is similar in size to the 12" tube ones and fits neatly in shelf at the bottom of the door, I prefer it to a bulb for its ease of fitting, neatness and safety in the confines of a small space. Worth considering both options and see whats best/easiest in your particular situation.

tangoman
Piss Artist

Post by tangoman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi DC, here's a pic, it's just a 100 watt light bulb in a standard fitting screwed into an aluminium bracket (free standing as it's a bit tight with a 60 litre fermenter) which I made to stop the heat from the bulb going directly to the side of the fermenter.
I usually stand it on the bottom of the fridge and it's controlled by a digital thermometer and it works ok,hope this helps.

mixbrewery
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by mixbrewery » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:16 pm

TLC for my 100w tube heater, only got the 100w cause it was on special and cheaper than the 60w at the time.
Should have paid more attention to the sizes :oops: , only just wedged it into the fermentation cabinet.

Check out the beers we have for sale @ Mix Brewery

DC

Post by DC » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Hi Lads, Thanks for the replies regarding both the bulbs & tube heaters ! I will maybe look at the bulb option 1st and see how it goes before splashing out on a tube heater ! why buy one if I dont need too :wink: I will post a few pics when I decided what to go with !

Planning: