Fining beer in corny - egg whites

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
kfm

Fining beer in corny - egg whites

Post by kfm » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:55 am

Earlier in the year I was having probs getting my beer to clear in the corny kegs. Tried commercal finings with fairly poor results. Forum members pointed me to gelatin which works very well but I was also told by a commercial wine maker that they use egg whites to fine. Did a test on three kegs recently; Clear It commercial finings, Dr. Oetker Supercook gelatin sheets and egg whites. Nothing between the gelatin and the egg whites. 5 days after adding, the beer was crystal in both kegs. So if the supermarket is out of stock of gelatin, get 3 free-range eggs, separate the yolks, lightly whisk the whites to blend and add directly to the keg. No taste effect, clear beer, cheap. With the spare yolks I had a really rich omelette. Burp.

Scooby

Re: Fining beer in corny - egg whites

Post by Scooby » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:25 am

You could sprinkle some herbs on top of your pint and call it a Consomme :=P

johnmac
Under the Table

Post by johnmac » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:57 pm

Don't tell Edwina Currie.

Especially not if you're wearing blue underpants :shock:

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:08 pm

Mmmm salmonella beer :)

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:15 pm

mysterio wrote:Mmmm salmonella beer :)
That would be my worry. I don't know if salmonella can survive and grow in beer but if it can then even a tiny amount could multiply to lethal levels. OTOH the OP could always try a more flocculent strain of yeast ;)
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:21 pm

ohhhhhh Badger groan groan :lol: :lol: :lol: You're going to bring everone out of their shells with bird yolkes now :shock:....oops ...jokes!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:28 pm

I would recommend the triple strength liquid Isinglass from hop & grape. Unbelievably effective!

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:32 pm

trucker5774 wrote:ohhhhhh Badger groan groan :lol: :lol: :lol: You're going to bring everone out of their shells with bird yolkes now :shock:....oops ...jokes!
Yes, it looks like I've cracked it, which is a feather in my cap and noting to get in a flap about. I've been cooped up all day so I'm going for a lay down. Here's to the nest one :D
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:38 pm

OldSpeckledBadger wrote:
trucker5774 wrote:ohhhhhh Badger groan groan :lol: :lol: :lol: You're going to bring everone out of their shells with bird yolkes now :shock:....oops ...jokes!
Yes, it looks like I've cracked it, which is a feather in my cap and noting to get in a flap about. I've been cooped up all day so I'm going for a lay down. Here's to the nest one :D
You take it easy......everything will be allwhite in the end, as long as you dont drink too much and get smashed with no chance of getting laid
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:43 pm

trucker5774 wrote:You take it easy......everything will be allwhite in the end, as long as you dont drink too much and get smashed with no chance of getting laid
I was going to claim I'd gone off half-cock but that would be a poultry excuse so I'll just have to wing it :D
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:50 pm

Would "pecktolase" help clear the brew :mrgreen:
John

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............

yogester

Post by yogester » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:58 am

For wines I have found that while egg whites have effect on clarity it is much better for a softening of tannins since the albumin has a strong affinity for long chain polyphenols. The biggest problem with beer that you will have is there is not enough tannin for the egg white to flocculate and settle properly. I think you may have some protein instability issues with your beer.... test by heating the a capped test tube/vial of beer in a water bath of 60 degrees or so - if haze appears you have problems. if so you may need add some white grape skin tannin to get it to flocculate out.

The best clarifier by far from all of the experiments I have done in wine and beer, is isinglass. As suggested earlier get proper grade liquid isinglass - much better prepared than any home brew packaged stuff.

JMHO as an oenologist.

Trunky

Post by Trunky » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:06 am

Raw egg and beer [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

God help your guts.

kfm

Post by kfm » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:38 pm

yogester wrote:For wines I have found that while egg whites have effect on clarity it is much better for a softening of tannins since the albumin has a strong affinity for long chain polyphenols. The biggest problem with beer that you will have is there is not enough tannin for the egg white to flocculate and settle properly. I think you may have some protein instability issues with your beer.... test by heating the a capped test tube/vial of beer in a water bath of 60 degrees or so - if haze appears you have problems. if so you may need add some white grape skin tannin to get it to flocculate out.

The best clarifier by far from all of the experiments I have done in wine and beer, is isinglass. As suggested earlier get proper grade liquid isinglass - much better prepared than any home brew packaged stuff.

JMHO as an oenologist.
yogester, chap at winery said much the same thing but thought racking it off soon after adding would help so that's what i did and no problems yet, just crystal clear beer. Amount of hops in this one will do the salmonella, if it ain't killing me its making me stronger

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:47 pm

I would assume if you have tried commercial finings with bad results that they were used incorrectly.
Too much can be worse than too little giving a frog spawn beer!