keg Pressure

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
sam c

keg Pressure

Post by sam c » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:33 pm

ive got a london pride in the keg at the moment ( my first keg ) and when i pour out a pint the preesure is really full on. it gives me about half a glass of head which does settle down very quickly but to me it seems there is too much pressure. however it is not that fizzy.

it was primed at the weekend with 75 grams white sugar. am i right in thinking that the fizz will come as the beer conditions further and the co2 absorbs into the beer?

are the pints likely to come out a little less frothy soon or should i release some pressure? ( i already did a little ) is there anything else i should be doing?

cheers

Jack Hackett

Re: keg Pressure

Post by Jack Hackett » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:04 pm

Did you add a burst of CO2 too?

Id squeeze the pressure relief valve and release a bit of pressure.

Parva

Post by Parva » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Get the keg as cool as you can, the cooler it is the more of that C02 that's causing your foaming will be absorbed into the beer thereby giving you a nicely carbonated pint.

sam c

Post by sam c » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:24 pm

thanks for the replies.

no i didn't put in any extra co2.

at the moment it is stored at about fermentation temp, so around 20 c, dont think my mum would be too happy if i put it in the fridge :lol: so this might have to do for now.

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:14 am

sam c wrote:
at the moment it is stored at about fermentation temp, so around 20C
You won't get much fizz in the beer at that temperature. you need to get it below 14-15C which is difficult with the current weather.

tractor

Post by tractor » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 am

HI There i was always told that for ale, in this case your london pride, if you work to 10 psi at 10 'C you can't go far wrong.

Just search ebay and pickup and old fridge so save you annoying your mother :)

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:52 pm

If you've primed the beer, the CO2 won't dissolve further into the beer with time. On the contrary, the CO2 is being produced in the beer and is coming out of solution into the head space to give you the pressure. If you squirt CO2 into the keg, however, then the CO2 is going the other way and fizziness may increase with time, although it may take several days for the CO2 to dissolve into the beer.

But temperature is the key. There's a table here:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... data_page)

(scroll down a bit) that shows how many volumes of CO2 dissolve in water at various temperatures. You'll see that high temperatures are not good if you want fizziness, as the CO2 dissolves much less readily. (Anyone know of a similar table for beer instead of water? I've heard they exist but can't find one on t'internet.)

What I do if I can't get the temperature down in the summer, is to deliver the beer at a high pressure, but attach a short length of hose to the tap. This stops the beer foaming so much.

sam c

Post by sam c » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:27 pm

thanks again everyone.

not sure the extra fridge is an option at the moment as i dont really have anywhere to put it. so for the time being i think i will just have to keep it at this temp for the moment. its still great beer any way.

maybe i shall give the hose pipe method a try and see if that gets me anywhere on the less frothy side.

thanks