Low Pressure from Keg

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Big Al

Low Pressure from Keg

Post by Big Al » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:46 am

I have started supping from my latest batch of coopers bitter, which is stored in my plastic keg.
Now my query is, that there does not appear to be hardly any pressue in the keg whilst pouring my pints.
I am sure when I last used it and had a coopers stout in there it had sufficient pressure for about 4-5 pints
before the pressure dipped.

Could it be a loose seal or the lid not on tight enough? If I was to remove the lid, re-lube it with vaseline and put it back on,
should this suffice and will this effect my beer if I go down this path? I have had it in there about 6-7 weeks

jubby
Under the Table

Re: Low Pressure from Keg

Post by jubby » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:23 am

I would leave the lid on for now, although it won't affect the beer if you take it off, just don't let anything drop into your beer.

Keg pressure is dependent on a few variables such as priming sugars, yeast left in suspension and temperature. The point at which you kegged the beer also can make a big difference.

Anyway, I would gas the keg and check for leaks with soapy water and a paint brush. If you find a leak and have to remove the lid to sort it, make sure you gas the keg when the lid goes back on, leave it for 10 mins and release the gas and re-gas. This will expel any O2 and improve the keeping qualities.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:51 am

Cheers for that will give it a try. Soapy water and a brush, novel approach never through of that before. Will have to give it a shot :D

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:44 pm

If you havn't pressure after drawing off just 5 pints then you have a leak.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:19 pm

I know I am bringin up an old post again, But
I am still not happy with the levels of gas in my kig keg. I made sure I removed the rubber ring from within the lid, added plenty of Vaseline to and around that. I also added plenty of Vaseline to the threads of the barrel and the lid, bug still i am not too happy with the amount of gas in the keg.

This is the 3rd time of using this barrel. The first time there was loads of pressure in the barrel and never had an issue, but now I am not so sure on it.

Any further advise would be appreciated.

fractureman
Piss Artist

Post by fractureman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:43 pm

maybe ret replacing the seals I had zero pressure in my king keg on first use so have replaced all my seals, only cost £3.10 from my local HBS am hoping that solves the problem.
keg 1 : (Drinking) : Amarillo extract brew
keg 2 : (Conditioning) : Summer Ale extract
keg 3 : (Conditioning) : Lightening extract Goldings only
keg 4 : (Conditioning) : Lightening etxract

FV1 : FV2 :
Bottled: Brewferm Diabolo, Brewferm frambois
next up: coppers stout:)

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:08 pm

The keg lid is only about 10 months old, but I might just have to try that, see how it goes.
Would hate to get rid of the keg as does come in very handy some times.

Am tempted to get another one but will wait till I find out why I am loosing pressure.

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:59 pm

Have you tried taking the O-ring out of the cap and cleaning/greasing underneath it? You need a good seal there as well as on the rim of the neck.

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:22 pm

Yeah I did try that, I had heard to give it a go. So this last time I stripped it down applied vaseline just about everywhere.
Maybe if I take the lid to my local brewing shop he might notice something that I have missed....

I am not due to draw off this keg until nearer xmas, fingers crossed it might be retaining CO2 by this point [-o<