Simple tap help required!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crookedeyeboy

Simple tap help required!

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 pm

I am going to be using the kitchen as my brewhouse and am wondering how to tackle a certain problem.
I want to fill my old Burco boiler from the tap but have got the old 80's kind of enamel mixer tap head.
I just need something to attach a piece of piping to it for a steady flow in to the boiler.

Thanks

mshergold

Re: Simple tap help required!

Post by mshergold » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:42 pm

I'd say a large funnel if you don't mind holding it in place. If not, I guess if you could find a large enough funnel you could cut a hole so you can push it onto the tap.

kfm

Post by kfm » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Hozelock hosepipe fittings can be modified to do this - the one I use has a black rubber washer at the aperture on the tap side that I cut out slightly to enable my tap to fit snug. I also had to cut out the aperture a bit where the tap slides through but using the screw turner on top it fits very well. Available from the usual garden centres, B&Q etc.

Jack Hackett

Post by Jack Hackett » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:14 pm

Get yourself one of these, then fit some pipe to it
http://www.gardencentre.co.uk/product.asp?id=2789

mshergold

Post by mshergold » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:46 pm

I can't believe I didn't think of that. I use one for my chiller!

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:05 pm

I brew in the car port next to the kitchen. I have one of those hozelock thingies for my mixer tap but only use it when I'm running a hose out to the immersion chiller.

I find it quicker to use a six pint/3 litre milk carton with half the top cut off as a pitcher jug. I start with the boiler in the kitchen, fill with 12 litres then carry outside to heat mash water. When I'm heating another 21 litres for the sparge I pour 12 litres next to the sink, carry the boiler outside and ferry the remaining 9 litre in the milk carton x 3.

I've used a marker pen to indicate 3 litres all round the carton.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

wetdog

Post by wetdog » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:41 pm

I used to use one of those hose lock things as the picture above but I bought mine from Wilko - only about £3 from there

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:45 pm

Durr!! Thanks for those replies! I used to have one of those Hozelock adapters!! Haha nevermind will go and buy another one.
Many thanks again