corny Problem

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Deebee
Even further under the Table

corny Problem

Post by Deebee » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi All,
i bought a corny from Norm a while ago and just got around to managing to fill it.

I also bought a pocket charger due to various reasons and have a small problem which i am hoping is just me being stupid.

Forstly i was not sure which post to attatch the gas tap to, but i have found out that this is the short tube inside the keg right?

Secondly comes the bit i a a little concerned about.

I used he charger to purge for o2 when i had filled the keg, yet there was a leak of beer from the transition between the sharger and the gas in. The sharger was on as well as possible.

I made the mistakef not just taking the entire unit off after i had purged it and this resulted in beer spraying all over the room, although i was off the opingion that this valve should be a non return type. When i took it off there was an o ring tat had split ( it was red and tiny so i assume it is from the charger connection to the tank?

So a couple of questions.

1 Am i right thinking the gas goes to the small tue and not the one that goes to the bottom of the tank.?

2 When i have charged should i take the entire gas post off thetank ( i have to now else it sprays beer)
3 is the gas tap faulty?
Thanks fr answering stupid noobie questions.

D
Dave
Running for Childrens cancer in the Windsor Half marathon.
Please consider helping a good cause:)

babalu87

Re: corny Problem

Post by babalu87 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 pm

1 Am i right thinking the gas goes to the small tue and not the one that goes to the bottom of the tank.?
Yes, gas = grey
The GAS/IN post will normally be etched/grooved at the bottom

2 When i have charged should i take the entire gas post off thetank ( i have to now else it sprays beer)

No, it sounds like you have a bad/stuck/hung poppet valve. Keg lube and working them up and down will usually elliviate this.

3 is the gas tap faulty?

I doubt it

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 pm

babalu87 wrote:
Yes, gas = grey
The GAS/IN post will normally be etched/grooved at the bottom

No, it sounds like you have a bad/stuck/hung poppet valve. Keg lube and working them up and down will usually elliviate this.

3 is the gas tap faulty?

I doubt it
Hmm not sure i follow you here. When i take the charger off the grey gas tap beer sprays out of the connection point to the tap ( the bit where the charger screws on.

If i take the entire tap ( popet??) off then put jjust the grey in back there is no problem. i am wondering ifthe pin is opening the valve so that when i press in air and remove the charger it releases the pressure back the way it came. Not much i can do now either wiay with the thing full of beer.

This brew was destined to be doomed i swear.
Dave

Parva

Post by Parva » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 pm

You shouldn't unscrew the keg charger from the disconnect at all, it stays attatched permanently. Just take the disconnect (complete with charger) off the gas in post when you've finished with it. Another point to note is that beer should not come out of the gas in post, if it does, you have overfilled the keg. This in itself is not a disaster but in future you should check that you fill to just below the level of the gas in post.

I would also advise that you source yourself a proper C02 bottle. I use one of those keg chargers when taking a cornie to a party but even just dispensing beer with it uses several 16Gm bulbs, I dread to think how many I would need to carbonate and drink it! :(

This is how the charger should look. Simply put the disconnect onto the gas in post, add gas and you can either leave it connected or just take the whole thing off the gas in post.

Dances

Post by Dances » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:53 pm

I had a very similar problem with mine first time around (alothough you have definately overfilled if beer is coming out of the gas in).

My issue was the small poppet valve inside the post had an old split o-ring so I had to get a new poppet valve asap before I could get it to seal.

Unfortunately, there are 2 types of poppet (get one of each to be sure - only a few quid - shown here as numbers 5 and 6 http://www.breworganic.com/browseproduc ... -Kegs.HTML) and changing them means unscrewing the gas-in post which means losing your CO2 that you pressurised with. If you want more accurate info about how I did this then let me know.

I use an SO Dash kit (from the homebrew company in ireland) and widget gas cylinders with mine - lasts for ages.

Parva

Post by Parva » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Hop and Grape sell the poppets for £2.50 each if I remember correctly. Correction, just looked, £2.50 for one type and £4.50 for the other. That's shot up as I purchased two of the more expensive type about 12 months ago and it was £2.50 then. :(

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:40 pm

The guys i brew with use converted CO2 fire extinguishrs. But they make and drink like 2000 litres a year.

I was advised to prime the 9 l corny i have with sugar. the suggestion is that the carbonation from this alone should do for more than half the keg and there is not that much pressure needed for the rest.

I can see about getting a soda stream cartridge here. so thats another alternative. Other than that CO2 equipment is like most things extremely expensive.

The problem is that there is a small o ring at the bottom of the charger connection point ( to the gas in) that is missing and this allows some fluid back up the tap ( obvioulsly cos i overfilled the keg.) Still that problem in itself is solved when there are a couple of glasses pulled of.

The problem with the leak is also easilly resolved when i manage to get some pva tape!

Thanks for the help.

Dave
Dave

Parva

Post by Parva » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Whilst your idea of doing secondary fermentation in the cornie is sound you may have problems. I don't think I have one keg that is airtight without pressure being applied beforehand. Because C02 in secondary builds up so slowly there won't be enough to 'snap' the lid into a sealed position and any C02 created will just vent off. Provided you give it a blast of C02 at the start of secondary then you should be fine.

bazbaby3
Steady Drinker

Post by bazbaby3 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Parva U pissed????? By the state of the post u must b.......Nice 1 =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
mmmmmmm beer!
Fv1 - Wheatbeer.
Fv2 - Nothing.
Cornie1 - Orfys hob goblin clone.
Cornie2 - Styrian stuner.

Parva

Post by Parva » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Eh? Perfectly sober thank you, apologies if the terminology is a little complex for you. :)

Deebee

Post by Deebee » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 am

It was by blasting the keg with carbon dioxide through the charger i found out about the leak.:)
Dave