Mashtun Insulation

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
data790|

Re: Mashtun Insulation

Post by data790| » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:39 am

Nice one, great video link too. Really helped. Reminds me of my stout I mashed, it looked nothing like the video; more like coca cola. I shall be doing a bit of DIY then tonight ripping apart the old coffee maker to harvest its element. Should be fun.

bazbaby3
Steady Drinker

Post by bazbaby3 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:13 pm

I like scoobys idea of the thermal disc on top of the grain. I use a NO thermobox and mash only half full. The temp drop is about 6 or 7 degrees c. Going to give scoobys idea a trial. Cheers! =D> =D> =D>
mmmmmmm beer!
Fv1 - Wheatbeer.
Fv2 - Nothing.
Cornie1 - Orfys hob goblin clone.
Cornie2 - Styrian stuner.

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm

bazbaby3 wrote:I like scoobys idea of the thermal disc on top of the grain. I use a NO thermobox and mash only half full. The temp drop is about 6 or 7 degrees c. Going to give scoobys idea a trial. Cheers! =D> =D> =D>
That's quite a drop, is the lid sealing well. When I got mine I saw steam venting round the lid and found the seal wasn't seating.

Put the lid on but NOT hooked in at the back or clamped, try to rotate the lid, when I did that on mine there was metal-metal contact, the silicon seal wasn't being compressed. I packed it out with some foam draught excluder so that the seal actually makes contact with the rim and compresses when clamped :wink:

bazbaby3
Steady Drinker

Post by bazbaby3 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:38 pm

cheers scooby! will check it out. #-o #-o
mmmmmmm beer!
Fv1 - Wheatbeer.
Fv2 - Nothing.
Cornie1 - Orfys hob goblin clone.
Cornie2 - Styrian stuner.