Can you/should you transfer from cornies to bottles?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
salnajjar

Can you/should you transfer from cornies to bottles?

Post by salnajjar » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:18 am

I'm gathering my kit together slowly to get ready for my first AG brew and I'm just considering buying some cornies. My question is, once the beer is made and has been in the corny conditioning is it okay to transfer it to bottles?
My thinking is, I don't want to buy too many cornies until I know that this is something I'm going to stick at, but, it would be nice to not have to tip the last few pints out of a corny if I need to free one up for a new batch. I'm also thinking that if there's a beer I'm particularly proud of it would be good to be able to bottle some to give to friends.

Is this workable, and, if so, are there any pitfalls or things I should be aware of?

Thanks

Seri

mysterio

Re: Can you/should you transfer from cornies to bottles?

Post by mysterio » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:39 am

Yes, you can

If the beer is carbonated it's a little more difficult, you will need to chill down the cornie and slightly overcarbonate the beer to allow for loss in the bottle. Use a long length of 3/16 line and stick it in the bottom of the bottle and keep foaming to a minimum. You can allow a little foam to form at the neck so that the foam purges any oxygen before putting the cap on.

Sanitise your beer bottles, how well you manage this will govern how long the beer will last.