Kettle leads for boilers

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
MartialAnt

Kettle leads for boilers

Post by MartialAnt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:49 pm

On my last brew day i melted one of my kettle leads & set fire to the plug. It was a PC lead which i know isnt the best thing to use. So i need to buy some leads so i can brew more beer. Are these 13 amp leads gonna be any good? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5m-5-Metre-UK-PC- ... dZViewItem

Or can someone recommend a decent lead that wont melt after an hour of boiling.

I remember leads having a woven material casing when i was a kid. Do these exist anymore?

wetdog

Re: Kettle leads for boilers

Post by wetdog » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:11 pm

I would say the ebay lead will be no better than the one you had. if you look at the end of the lead where the holes are there should be a notch under the middle hole which the ebay one doesn't have. I believe the notch means it is rated for heat resistance
go to homebase, they sell proper kettle leads for around £4 each. I have 2 and they happily boil away for 90 minutes with no problems

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:05 pm

Yes, thems the ones you want with the notch. I remember someone buying some from one of the DIY chains, I couldn't have remembered which one though - my memory is crap these days.

There's hundreds of listings on fleabay selling 'kettle leads', and non of them will actually fit a kettle. :lol:

MartialAnt

Post by MartialAnt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:59 pm

Thanks guys.

Russ

Post by Russ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:08 pm

Homebase have em for around £4-5 each (can't remember if they were 3.99 or 4.99)

look in the electrical dept, there hung up in bags,I spoted them while looking fro trailing sockets....

lewis1981

Post by lewis1981 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 pm

rs sell hot condition mains leads

Bobba
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Bobba » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:18 pm

I bought some of these plugs and replaced the ones on a couple of 13A kettle leads:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0204405803

to give me some 13A and heat proof boiler leads.
They've worked out great. I tape them up quite a bit to make ensure against any water getting into the plug during inadvertent splashing etc.

FV: -
Conditioning: AG34 Randy's Three Nipple Tripel 9.2%, AG39 APA for a mate's wedding
On bottle: AG32 Homegrown Northdown ESB, AG33 Homegrown Cascade Best
On tap: -
Garden: 2x cascade, 2x Farnham whitebine (mathon), 2x northdown, 1x first gold

MartialAnt

Post by MartialAnt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Right chaps ive been everywhere locally but can only get the pc leads. I really need to start brewing this weekend ready for xmas or im gonna be stuffed. I need someone to tell me if this kettle lead is the right one. Im about to order a few so can someone confirm its the right type thats not gonna catch fire after half hour.

Thanks chaps.

NickP

Post by NickP » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:41 pm

They look like the ones you can also get the hot condition leads from RS

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... 5517&Nty=1

They may save you a couple of quid...

salnajjar

Post by salnajjar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:58 pm

MartialAnt wrote:Right chaps ive been everywhere locally but can only get the pc leads.
I purchased two from my local homebase the other week, took a heck of a lot of hunting to find them mind, but they were there. £5 each.

boingy

Post by boingy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:31 pm

Focus DIY also keep them for a similar price.

MartialAnt

Post by MartialAnt » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:04 pm

NickP wrote:They look like the ones you can also get the hot condition leads from RS

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... 5517&Nty=1

They may save you a couple of quid...
Couldnt be bothered setting up RS account so paid more on Amazon.
salnajjar wrote:
MartialAnt wrote:Right chaps ive been everywhere locally but can only get the pc leads.
I purchased two from my local homebase the other week, took a heck of a lot of hunting to find them mind, but they were there. £5 each.
I went along every isle looking at the Morecambe Homebase but couldnt find them.
boingy wrote:Focus DIY also keep them for a similar price.
Never thought about Focus.